Can the Axe-FX rival this Kemper tone?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Tybalt, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Petersen

Don Petersen Member

here's a cool little story about how Ace (Skunk Anansie) rescued the sound of his old Klipp amp with the Profiler:
    jump to 12m36s - it seems I can't imbed the link with a (working) time stamp

or use this
    https://youtu.be/ePsYT74E_1k?t=12m36s

:)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

No difference to my old ears over my computer speakers.

3. BWebb

BWebb Member

Not yet, but wait for firmware 19!

:mob

4. waveman

waveman Member

So I guess the ultimate modelling combo would be an AXE FX for effects + the Kemper for amp modelling? Anyone doing this.

5. DamianL

DamianL Member

Yeeeeeeah!

That's smokin....

D

6. Mad Muse

Mad Muse Member

In my opinion Top Jimi has the best vintage Marshall profiles available right now. I have all of them.

7. bammbamm

bammbamm Member

I think that is the best way to compare. Loop the raw sound into both to get rid of the human factor.

8. Boleary2

Boleary2 Supporting Member

I hear a slight bit of difference, but both sound great!

9. SteveO

SteveO Member

If there is ONE GUY who gets a pass for "spending more time tweaking his Axe-FX than playing"... :p

10. AZG

AZG Member

They sound essentially the same to me with good headphones. I would be guessing to say which is which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. bammbamm

bammbamm Member

Just got to listen to this at home. Nice. Very similar but maybe the first one has a tad more gain. But it could be that my ears are playing tricks on me.

12. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

I moved to a Kemper. [ from a DC30 clone ] and am never going back :)

I tried the Axe FXII - great unit but preferred the layout easiness of the Kemper - its controls are like a real amp.

Both awesome units.

TopJimi's profiles are equal to any - his amp packs are only like. $8 each ..... seriously, that's just silly.

And yes, there is bugger all difference between the two in this MP3.

To my [ biased ] ears putting efx aside [ the Axe leaves the Kemper in the dust in this respect ] I find Kemper profiles a bit grittier than Axe patches which to my. [ biased ]. ears are a bit more refined .... don't know why .....maybe its because with the Kemper, the core foundation of its sound is a real amp whereas with the Axe its more of a modeled tone .... ? ..... I don't really know how to explain it.

But I DO know [ first hand ] that they both sound awesome and one is not better or worse than the other.

For me, very fortunately, money was not a deciding factor and tonally I thought they were both brilliant ..... I went with Kemper for sheer ease and simplicity of live use and real-time live tweaking .... if the Axe front panel physical controls were like the Kemper, I honestly couldn't say which I would have bought

In a recorded mix or a live setting, no-one would ever hear the difference :)

Ben

T

13. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Famous last words. I've tried several times now, but I've gone back. Kemper and I just don't get along. Great unit, just not for me. I am just partial to having a nice tube amp and a two-notes live. Will say though that the Top Jimi stuff was great. I had a bunch of their profiles and they sounded great direct.

But yup...agreed...in a mix, no one can tell the difference.

14. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

BTW, the reason these profiles sound the way the do is because they use the old studio trick of putting an EQ in front of the amp. Every one I've tested has a 1 kHz boost detected at the input (in the debug build of the Axe-Fx I can extract the input EQ and plot it). It's quite a bit too, ranging from 6 to 10 dB. This was a common technique in the 80's when tracking.

If you have an Axe-Fx or other modeler with EQ options you can try it yourself. Put an EQ or filter block before the amp. A parametric is best. Set the type to Peaking, frequency to 1 kHz and Q to around 1 and gain to around 6 dB to start. Experiment with the parameters.

15. db9091

db9091 Member

I find Jimi Top to be a bit thin for live playing, and I own a bunch of his profiles and find that they record well as you can all witness here. No matter the differences between JimiTop/TAF/MBritt/MW/SoundSide/Pete/etc, they all sound as authentic amps. The differences seem to be mic placement, EQ and effect's tweaks. So the ones that people may comment on not liking or liking are more due do to those factors.

The KPA can grab the nuances of the same amp over different versions in it's history. The individual characteristics that make for a diary of the history of a particular amp can be captured. Some of the older vintage amps that were profiled sound spot on. It's on an old Supro 88T and Selmer 50 that TAF did which I use for early Zepellin and it's crazy how they nails cuts. Having so many encyclopedic choices is like getting a degree in the history of amps and recorded music. You can really match them up to commercial recordings and prove how great the profiling process is when you see how well they nail them.

And while some is definitely in the hands, you know when you use the right guitar and right amp and get "that" sound, that's it's NOT all in the hands after all. The gear has to be right too...

16. Ringleader42

Ringleader42 Member

I prefer part 2. Something in the high end sounds more natural and less squeaky clean hi-fi. Damn those topjimi profiles sound good! Makes me want to lay it down on that '74!

17. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

The top Jimi stuff records amazing. Doesn't sound as good through my monitors

18. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Perhaps for some.

While I'm reading a lot of love here for the KPA there's also a lot of love for the Axe FX in other threads. Many have purchased both, sold the KPA and kept the Axe. Same thing the other way around. Over time I've concluded that the personal tastes of the player, and his/her ability to use the unit in question, is more of a factor than any discernible tonal differences inherent in the units themselves.

While you can make some gross generalizations about things one does better than the other in terms of tone and feel, in the right hands you can pretty much make them sound the same as Cliff did in his clip. With the right amplification, the same goes for feel.

19. hippietim

hippietim Member

There's lots of truth right there. I've been an Axe-FX guy for years. I've owned all the other stuff along the way including a Kemper.

I'm tired of dragging a rack around. So I grabbed an Amplifire. I had no trouble making it work for me. Debating the feature sets is uninteresting to me because there is an obviously large gap there - I just know that I could plug into the thing and get sounds I could use to play gigs with. Just like I had been doing with the Axe Ultra for years and more recently with the Axe II. The Axe II is in the recording rack - I'm looking forward to the AX8 though!

Last night I went to a friend's studio to work on some song ideas together. He hooked me up to his Kemper. He's got a lot of profiles that he purchased and downloaded including the Michael Wagner stuff. All I can say is that with the right profile the Kemper sounded and felt great and with the wrong profile it had the same potential to suck as every other gizmo. I prefer the Axe II for my own workflow and approach to creating sounds but with him driving the Kemper and me just playing I had no problem with it.

Interestingly, he busted out some of his killer pedals and the Kemper did not universally work well with them all like his real amps did. For instance, his vintage Maestro Phaser sounded glorious but his Rotosphere sounded like a toy no matter what amp profile we tried. I'd be curious to see how the Amplifire and Axe II compare with those pedals.

20. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

Very similar experience here too.

Long time Fractal user but wanting to take the Amplifire plunge to shed my rack and keep the Fractal in the studio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.