Can the Big Names do...

AdamSH89

Hey guys, been looking at ditching my board and picking up one of the "big name" modelers, but there are two specific effects I'm afraid of losing in the process.

POG2: polyphonic pitch shifting organ nonsense with perfect tracking
Line6 M9: Lo Res delay (that slow oscillating throaty chirp is just the best)

any of you guys with the Helix, AX8, Kemper, etc. feel like you're missing something?

scook

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, been looking at ditching my board and picking up one of the "big name" modelers, but there are two specific effects I'm afraid of losing in the process.

any of you guys with the Helix, AX8, Kemper, etc. feel like you're missing something?
No one has polyphonic tracking as good as EHX, in my opinion.

As to the low-res delay, try putting a bitcrusher or ring mod on the wet delay signal. That will get you close. Add overdrive to the wet delay signal for even more of a "lo-res" feel.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
Definitely keep your POG2 regardless, EH's stuff is rather unique.

Some who have the "Big Names" still use pedals if they are unique. Personally, with the KPA, I would have kept my Holy Grail, but do have an H9.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Fractal can do POG stuff; not as easily as the POG tho. And it can do lo res delays as well. Depending on how picky you might find them able to replace your current stuff.
-
Austin

Hackdog69

Gold Supporting Member
I too would like a modeler that can do all effects well, but think about it this way, fractal, line 6, KPA, all run between 1399 and 2249 ( funny how fractal is at both ends of this )
The POG I have was like $220 or something for one effect. If you add up all the effects the big names can do and expect them to sound as good as one individual box you would be looking at a unit that would cost, I don't know help me out here people.. Like 10k? There is a give and take here. Plus all the solid modelers have FX LOOPS, to incorporate things like this. There is no " one solution " to anything. I used to think like this as well... but hell I was married once too
:):confused::po_O

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, this is entirely true. I paid under $1500 for the KPA at the time (used price these days) and sold my pedal board for about $1500 when it was all said and done. Even my amps sold another $3500. And now I have more pedals and amps than my whole block could afford, so modelers at this level are definitely "worth" it and more than just software because they have equity. What is the Fractal ULTRA selling for, $1200 still? Yeah, equity.

Most of the software I've bought, no equity. Some do. Some UAD plugins if you don't hold onto them forever (they eventually replace them and call your $400 "legacy" and include it free with the new $400 upgrade.) And some DAWs allow resale, but typically at 1/4th the price. Most software is dead on arrival equity.

And this was the issue with Amp owners. You got a Hot Rod Deluxe? It's $450 used and will be $450 used a year from now. But will the modeler? So far, the answer is "Yes" and even more so. For example, with the Fractal units supply/demand, used units sometimes sell for more than new when there is a wait. Hell, even unsupported units have equity, so the jury is in on that.

Some other charges are that Modelers should just be software, but that's denying the "break out box" aspect. That you have excellent A/D, D/A converters, and other I/O as well as the physical interface (rather than mouse clicking) and if you look at the price of those things, the price of the units can easily be had JUST for their physical abilities (for example, the Fractal units record directly and can be your audio interface for guitar, and what are the prices of quality converters in that ranger? $500-1000)

In terms of money, these modelers are NOT expensive. It's like saying a ticket to the train to work is expensive but yet it's cheaper than your car expenses to go to work. Replacing what you do for cheaper is just that: cheaper.

AdamSH89

Look into the FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY http://www.fishman.com/products/series/tripleplay/
I paid around $400.

FYI - it's not guitar modeling. It's a wireless guitar controller system ... and IT WORKS!

Look at the Fishman website to see if this might work for you. There are Youtube Videos too
How would that help my situation of having access to specific guitar effects? It looks like it's just a MIDI guitar receiver, like a GP10. Can you somehow load specific guitar plug-ins to it along with IRs or something?

arislaf

No they can't. That is why while I have a helix the pod HD still stays with me. Can Helix do a tube echo? no. Throbber? No. Yes helix has quality but in quantity and variety it is way down...

Trending Topics