Can the Bogner Ecstasy 101B do Metal???

Hendog

I play mainly Prog Metal (think Dream Theater). I LOVE the 101B but dont have much experience with it.

Can this amp do metal???

MantraSky

Silver Supporting Member
Hendog, I think the XTC Classic might be a little better, because it has a more direct attack, it's more staccato and less compression. The 101b is more legato, smoother singing type lead but compresses during fast picking. I would probably look into the "Twin-Jet" Uber, if Bogner is what your considering. John does use Mesa which might be more 101b?

Hendog

I have a Mesa Boogie Mark V as my main amp. I would like to get an Ecstacy also, but I would like the Red Channel to do Metal. Just not sure that it can.

sg love

There are some clips over on HCAF.
Edgeofdarkness did em.

ETID used an XTC for some of Gutter Phenomenom.

ukslinger

Depends what you mean by metal. I think it can do a lot of really high gain stuff if set up right. But its not a supertight palm-mute type high gain amp. But I think its got more than enough gain to cover really heavy stuff as long as its not the ultrafast, compressed and detuned tones that need to be supertight.

Lots of useable gain on tap.

Wizard of Ozz

Silver Supporting Member
IMHO... after owning 2 post 2007 101Bs... is no. More to do with the voicing than the amount of preamp gain. Stick with your MKV or look into a Marshall JVM or something more modern voiced.

FourT6and2

Silver Supporting Member
Bogners in general are inherently loose/saggy amps. I had an Uberschall for a few years and it was too saggy for my taste. And I don't play that crazy fast, down-tuned stuff either. I play prog rock/metal. The XTC is not a "tight" amp. It has amazing tone and it's a fine piece of gear. But it's not a metal amp. It can do it, sure. But it depends on your exact tonal needs I guess.

Jazzpilfer

No not even close too loose. Needs a pedal then what is the point. Need tight thick bottom end for real metal. ETID does not count.

se7en

The 20th Ann. XTC does metal better than my old 101b. It's tighter and less compressed. That said, if I was all about playing metal, I'd go for a Twin Jet...which I have as well...it has two gain channels that excel at prog. metal. I modded mine for EL34's and it sounds richer, more saturated and has a better feel for my playing style than the KT88's it comes stock with. I also, didn't care that much for older Uberschalls, but this one is a gem. The redesigned 1st channel can get you more of a traditional Marshall/Marshall on steroids tones and then you have the 2nd channel for all out domination.

joolzriff

i had an xtc and played metal.....loose at the bottom for sure,it sounded better in my classic rock band,,goood amp! SOLD it and bought a Soldano SLO and it does both them gigs better than the xtc....in a class of its own

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I have been told the Red Channel is to loose for tight percussive metal.

Thoughts?
I think it's too loose for metal. The red will not hit like a hamer. If you already have a Mark V then you wouldn't get much with the XTC for metal.

skoora

I played a used one in a GC for quite a while and thought the blue set to H and boost on or the red set to high with the Boost off sounded great for metal. I was using a LP with 57 classics and was ripping out Kill Em all Metallica stuff. I thought it was plenty tight. I guess it depends on what metal? I think older style, Marshall based metal it will do no problem. Newer thicker chuggy stuff can't honestly say. I found the 101B to be very versatile with the excursion switches and especially the Class A-A/B option. I owned one in the late 90's and didn't find a great metal sound in it but this particular one sounded great. Also you have to get the presence right up there to help the bite.

FWIW I would much rather use a 101b than a SLO for metal as I find the SLO's fall apart for palm muted stuff on the low E unless the gain is quite low and then the saturation is lost.

Melodyman

No way are Rectos looser than XTCs...
You admitted you never played an XTC if I'm not mistaken, lol.

Even a 101B with the right options selected is tighter than a Recto, from my experience at least. Boosted Recto is different.

Not sure about the 2010 "reborn" Recto's though...heard they might be tighter.

Mark series are definitely tighter though.

DaveP

No one has mentioned what speakers they are using. The XTC can sound quite a bit different a far as loose or tight depending on what speaker your pushing.
I personally found a 4x12 loaded with V30's suits this amp the best. Made for each other.

mhenson42

Silver Supporting Member
You admitted you never played an XTC if I'm not mistaken, lol.

Even a 101B with the right options selected is tighter than a Recto, from my experience at least. Boosted Recto is different.

Not sure about the 2010 "reborn" Recto's though...heard they might be tighter.

Mark series are definitely tighter though.
I think he lacked punctuation and really meant.....

No way!!! Rectos are looser than XTCs? :D

In any case. I think a boosted XTC on the Tight excursion can do metal tones well enough. It's not the optimal amp or won't have that familar metal voicing, but it can be heavy enough in it's own right.