Can the Boss DD-20 self-ocillate/ make good noise?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JoeyD, Dec 17, 2005.

1. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

I know the DL-4 is a good noise making tool, but the reliabillity issues scare me, along with the 1 year warranty. I'm looking at the Boss DD-20 as a substitute. I have a DD-3 that im quite happy with and use for "standard" delays. I don't have much need for delays over 1 second.

What i DO have use for is a self-ocillating device that I can use to pitch-bend and create walls of noise, along with creating ambient washes. A short looper would be nice for live use. I'm familliar with the pros-cons of each unit but NO one seems to mention the DD-20's noise capibillities. Thanks.

PS, any good alternitives to the DD-20 or DL-4 for a looper/ noise making delay?

2. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

3. sandman

sandman Member

Good thread IMO.Just what I wanted to know.

I've only tested DD-20 for just a bit in the store and I liked "normal" stuff a lot but I didn't have time to experiment....

I've just downloaded the DL-4 manual and it seems that it does have more options(not counting ping-pong, volume swells etc.) than DD-20.
    Tweak and Tweez knobs seem to do a lot of stuff in various modes.

But Twist and Warp modes on DD-20 should achieve what you need...

I didn't help you but I hope someone eventually will....:confused:

In the meantime we'll stick to our dd-3s

p.s.what kind of music do you play?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  4. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

I guess what many would call shoegaze or noise/indie rock. I dont really have any idea. I like to play with ambience a lot, my main inspirations come from King Crimson, Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Tom Waits and a lot of the music comming out of Toronto (Arts & Crafts mostly... Broken Social Scene), some of the montreal noise bands (We are wolves) and regular montreal bands (Wolf Parade)... and a couple jazz players such as Kenny Burrell and Thelonious Monk.

But im not anywhere near as good as the two aformentoned musicians ;)

What do you play?

5. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

No, it doesn't really do that. The Warp and Twist functions hardly suffice. If you want overloading, run away oscillation, but you want a multi-delay box, the DL-4 is definitely more up your alley. Its looping features will also come in handy if you're going for experimentation.

The DD-20, while in my opinion a superior delay unit, cannot increase its time in an analog fashion, and so, any runaway oscillations you get are bumpy and...stepped. If that makes sense. However, for how much better the DD-20 is than the Link 6 for delays, it was worth it to me to get that. I plan on buying a cheap, one trick pony delay down the road just for runaway oscillations. Oh, and I got a Boss Loop Station for my looping needs. The pre-recroded options are extremely nice.

6. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

I dont really feel confident with the Line 6 because of all the reliability issues. I think I'm going to get the DD-20, and when i find a good old analoug delay somewhere ill pick it up. Having those 3 delays in order should give me all the flexabillity Ill need. And as for looping, Ill see how much I can get out of the unit before i lay down 300 for a full blown looper. I dont think i would have use for a unit like the RC-20XL. Thanks guys.

7. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

The Guyatone MD-3 is a ddl that can do oscillation. Goes for $99 new and has 30 - 2600 ms of delay.

David

8. msp

msp Member

or you can go all the way

the diamond memory lane can self oscilate---the best i have ever seen a floor pedal delay do (they have a video demo @ their website)

I own one, i used to own a dd-20 wich i found was the best for the price but doesn't compare to me with the diamond

i never used it for looping because i allready own a few phrase recorders that i gig with (i did try the loop features but its not really a great pedal for that...........but it does a decent bucket brigade sound in analogmode)

i tried my buddies line 6 dl green thing for a week and didn't really appreciate it.............seemed more like a toy/video game

a really nice one i should say and fun to play with but not what i would want to take on stage with me

9. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

i would love a memory lane. Hell, even an echoczar. But theres no way in hell i can afford anything like that. The dd-20 is about as much as i can spend.

Thanks the the MD-2 hint, ill check those out. Looks like ill be getting the DD-20 for its tone control/ looping (albeit limited) and kinky noises, and ill get a seperate dedicated "noise generator" delay.

10. sandman

sandman Member

+1!!!!

that's exactly my case.

I gotta retube my twin now so the DD-20 will have to wait

(Yeah I dig Tom Waits a lot.Especially with Marc Ribot.I'm more a garage blues-alt.country-"indie rock guy")

11. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Another thought: Keeley does a DD-3 mod that puts an effects loop in the pedal. You can patch in an envelope filter, modulation effects, etc. that will only affect the delayed signal. It seems like it would be good for some unique sounds. I've not played one but the clips and idea are very intriguing.

David

12. sandman

sandman Member

how about a DD-20 +Echo Park for weirder stuff - not necessarilly oscilation?

13. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

Well i went and bought the DD-20. Don't regret it one bit.

The DD-3 mod seems interesting. After getting the DD-20 the dd-3 really has little application other than making multi-tap delays and overloading the DD-20 (which is amazing). The Echo-park also sounds interesting, but I have never played one... maybe ill check it out. I could trade the DD-3 for it if it gets the job done.

I think in the end ill just keep buying more and more delays untill it gets rediculess... Im a fiend.

PS, what do you use to get a good "tom waits" tone (even though its not really him?) So much of his music sounds so simple guitar wise... but the tones are pretty hard to nail.