Can the Helix do this?

waygorked

A few years back I tried to get into modeling with an HD500. The idea was to be able to run 4CM with my Mesa Transatlantic of Mini Rectifier, and be able to switch between the Mesa preamps and modeled preamps of other amps. From a routing perspective, it worked. From a tonal perspective, it sucked. No matter what I used for a preamp from the HD500, it always sounded worse than the Mesas. I wasn't expecting to get a perfect representation of different amps using the Mesa power and speakers. I was expecting to be able to get something different without a noticeable degradation in signal quality, and I didn't get it. So for those running a Helix with 4CM, is the quality finally there?

Please leave the Fractal comments out, that's not what I am asking about. Thanks.

goodkungfu

yeah, i think a lot of people like it like that.

The preamp sims are great.

By all accounts the Helix plays super nice in 4CM. Pete Thorn is using it 4CM, I take that as a good sign for its 4CM chops... ;-)

m~Dan

Works perfectly. I run the Helix in 4CM wtih my modded H&K Puretone. The Puretone Preamp actually gets no real "playtime" as I like the Helix preamps better. I didn't experience any tone suck.

hippietim

It may also be the loop on the Boogie. There were certain Boogies that people really struggled with using any 4cm at one point - wish I could remember which ones. Your amps are newer so hopefully not.

LeicaBossNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Honestly, why don't you route it so you use your TA15 preamp? That amp is amazing.

Guitar > HELIX input > compressors and front of amp stomps > HELIX Loop 1 out to front of TA15 > TA15 FX send jack back into HELIX through Loop 1 return > HELIX time based effects > HELIX loop 2 SEND into TA15 FX return.

Now, you can route things to use your real world preamp as wanted.

Trending Topics