• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Can the Line 6 Helix...

guitarfor1

Does the Line 6 Helix have enough power to support the following signal chain in a single patch?

In
LA Studio Comp
Throaty Wah
Simple Pitch
Minotaur
Teemah!
Vermin
split 1
split 1A
WhoWatt 100 Amp only
1024 IR (4x12 cab)
split 1B
Matchstick Jumped Amp only
1024 IR (2x12 cab)
merge split 1
Volume Pedal
split 2
split 2A -> Out left
split 2B
Elephant Man
Simple Delay
Simple Delay
Particle Verb
Simple Delay
Simple Delay
Hall
Particle Verb
Octo Verb
Out Right

jrockbridge

I think it's cool when people create such elaborate signal chains. I wonder, would a Fractal Axe FX II or XL be able to recreate that chain in the virtual world?

I've gotten carried away with my stomp box collection over the years. I currently own 47 pedals and 5 boards. Recently, I wired up 4 of the boards with a dual amp setup. I have 2 boards in the loops of the dual amps and 2 boards out front. Even with all those stomps, I've noticed I rarely have more than 4 stomps on at any one time.

A Helix would have more than enough horsepower for me. In fact, it would be overkill...not that there's anything wrong with that......

Phnurt

Moron
Silver Supporting Member
Does the Line 6 Helix have enough power to support the following signal chain in a single patch?

In
LA Studio Comp
Throaty Wah
Simple Pitch
Minotaur
Teemah!
Vermin
split 1
split 1A
WhoWatt 100 Amp only
1024 IR (4x12 cab)
split 1B
1024 IR (2x12 cab)
merge split 1
Volume Pedal
split 2
split 2A -> Out left
split 2B
Elephant Man
Simple Delay
Simple Delay
Particle Verb
Simple Delay
Simple Delay
Hall
Particle Verb
Octo Verb
Out Right
I think you would definitely overload on 2b but why would you need that many delays and verbs?

veritechc

In
LA Studio Comp
Throaty Wah
Simple Pitch
Minotaur
Teemah!
Vermin
split 1
split 1A
WhoWatt 100 Amp only
1024 IR (4x12 cab)
split 1B
1024 IR (2x12 cab)
merge split 1
Volume Pedal
split 2
split 2A -> Out left
split 2B
Elephant Man
Simple Delay
Simple Delay
Particle Verb
Simple Delay
Simple Delay
Hall
Particle Verb
Octo Verb
Out Right
Why would you want all that? If I wanted all that I would make a few tones and break it up. I can't imagine controling that signal chain in real life. That would be like 30 patch cords and you would have to tap dance like Gregory Hines to get a sound from it.

DunedinDragon

The real question is ... WHY?

But then I've always been skeptical of people using big, complex, effects-laden signal chains. What exactly are they trying to cover up?

lspaulsp

Platinum Supporting Member
The real question is ... WHY?

But then I've always been skeptical of people using big, complex, effects-laden signal chains. What exactly are they trying to cover up?
The real question is why do guitarists think someone is covering up? Maybe GFO is expanding.................................................
Guitar has been expanding since the 60's only hindered by technology and creativity. Go for it!

nicolasrivera

In
LA Studio Comp
Throaty Wah
Simple Pitch
Minotaur
Teemah!
Vermin
split 1
split 1A
WhoWatt 100 Amp only
1024 IR (4x12 cab)
split 1B
1024 IR (2x12 cab)
merge split 1
Volume Pedal
split 2
split 2A -> Out left
split 2B
Elephant Man
Simple Delay
Simple Delay
Particle Verb
Simple Delay
Simple Delay
Hall
Particle Verb
Octo Verb
Out Right
Yes, in a single patch divided in to two HELIX'S :p

guitarfor1

Thanks all for checking I appreciate it!

The idea is a wet-dry rig with my normal wet fx (3 delays and mod verb) then remaining verb / delay setup to a single switch for instant super ambient swells. I can make it work with less but Im curious what can it actually do.

I suppose the better question would have been - with two amps & 1024 res IRs, how many reverbs can I expect to have CPU power for? Based on my experience with hd500x, those are the hungriest for CPU power

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Thanks all for checking I appreciate it!

The idea is a wet-dry rig with my normal wet fx (3 delays and mod verb) then remaining verb / delay setup to a single switch for instant super ambient swells. I can make it work with less but Im curious what can it actually do.

I suppose the better question would have been - with two amps & 1024 res IRs, how many reverbs can I expect to have CPU power for? Based on my experience with hd500x, those are the hungriest for CPU power
I've done two amps and two cabs plus 2 verbs (octo and particle, even) and 5 delays in one patch.

Don't assume you'll need 3rd party IRs. If you work with the cabs in there, especially duals, you can get some amazing sounds.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
...I wonder, would a Fractal Axe FX II or XL be able to recreate that chain in the virtual world?....
No. Not if you wanted to have everything on at once anyway. For example you can only have 2 reverb blocks in an Axe FX preset. With X/Y states you could cover 4 different reverbs, but you could only have 2 on at a time.
-
Austin

SteveO

I don't know why, but for some reason my imagination has me thinking of a car stereo playing seven different radio stations simultaneously...

lspaulsp

That's one of the reasons I've kept my M-13 so many years. I can stack Reverbs and Delays up to 4 at a time.
Stewart's song Empty Glass is amazing when you quietly holding onto tails almost forever.

DunedinDragon

LOL I think it's quite sad.
Well it beats having to spend hours mastering all the various styles and techniques to get different sounds out of a guitar (palm muting, finger picking, chicken pickin', harmonics, finger plucks, George Benson style octaves, etc.) Why go to all that trouble when you can just turn a knob?

guitarfor1

Cool that's what I needed to know, thanks Pietro!

I've done two amps and two cabs plus 2 verbs (octo and particle, even) and 5 delays in one patch.

Don't assume you'll need 3rd party IRs. If you work with the cabs in there, especially duals, you can get some amazing sounds.

guitarfor1

This would also do the trick (probably better) since the XY combined with scenes would turn off the other 'normal' fx while turning on the ambient settings

No. Not if you wanted to have everything on at once anyway. For example you can only have 2 reverb blocks in an Axe FX preset. With X/Y states you could cover 4 different reverbs, but you could only have 2 on at a time.
-
Austin

Trending Topics

Top Bottom