Can the Soldano Hot Rod....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skeeballcore, Feb 25, 2015.

1. skeeballcore

skeeballcore Member

do Tool/A Perfect Circle style stuff and metal? I think it meets my other requirements, but most of the videos I find of it are 80's rock style stuff.

2. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

I think so, yes.
    I had a HR50 a few years back.
    Sorta wish I had held onto that one.
    It's an aggressive gainy modded marshall sound.

3. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

I think the HR is a highly underrated amp. It can give you that mid level crunch on the "clean" channel. It's super versatile. It has (2) preamp and (2) output volume controls, one for each chanel. I have yet to find a sound I can't dial in. I have never tried to play detuned metal, but it may come up short there. Bonus of you go for the + version you can ftsw between the clean and the crunch channel. Also if you dial back the guitar volume will clean it up nicely.

It's a keeper for me, it sounds great and lets the tone of the guitar shine through. With the volume controls as they are, it's even usable at a bedroom level. However, it sounds much better cranked.

4. cardinal

cardinal Member

I had a SLO that could do that stuff. Despite what you might read, the amp could get dark and growl-ly sounding. It won't have the low end of a Recto/VH4, but the SLO is not just a bright/aggressive shred machine.

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Oh yeah it can. Used to use one in a cover band that did a lot of that dropped stuff as well as VH and EJ. It's a great sound for lots of it. This one had the XL mod.

Sold it in early 00's, to a bud who now plays country and I think he's selling it if interested.