Can the TC SCF pedal be used at line level?

pfrischmann

Gold Supporting Member
Hi guys,
I'm still struggling to find a dedicated chorus I like for my rack. Everything in my rack is at line-level. I always loved the SCF. Can it be used in a line level application. I've had trouble find the specs IIRC it can but I though it would be worth it to ask.

Thanks,
Paul

jb4674

Unfortunately, it’s not line level. if you’re looking for a chorus option in pedal form, i’d get an Eventide H9 and load the tricerachorus algo.

mentoneman

Hi guys,
I'm still struggling to find a dedicated chorus I like for my rack. Everything in my rack is at line-level. I always loved the SCF. Can it be used in a line level application. I've had trouble find the specs IIRC it can but I though it would be worth it to ask.

Thanks,
Paul

might be tricky to keep tc input from clipping while trying to match output levels of your existing rack gear without a full featured mixer providing those capabilities.

would be fun to experiment with using something like this to control input to pedal and output from pedal back to rack mixer

(note-oops the original mixer i posted was the wrong one with no aux-this one is the right one)

Last edited:

pfrischmann

Gold Supporting Member
It is line level, max input level is +9dBm & output level +14dBm from the manual I got.
I've been using one of mine in a rack line level setup and it works perfectly fine.
Thanks Anje. Where do you have it, before or after the preamp?

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
I don't use separated preamps.
When used with line level effect rig it usually is the main stereo split first thing in line before the stereo mixer, it gets line level signal from a line out box taken from an amp speaker output.

mentoneman

It is line level, max input level is +9dBm & output level +14dBm from the manual I got.
I've been using one of mine in a rack line level setup and it works perfectly fine.
that’s very cool it works in your case. i’ve thought about trying that exact scheme too! did it require turning down the tc input considerably, or the line out level from the load box?

the dBm/dBu/dBv/dbFS references can create confusion and mismatches and typically requires a bit of level calibration

i experimented with my flashback x4 pedal in my rack as an added effect unit in parallel to my rack mixer, and although the effect was audible the input was being clipped by my preamp source level to my splitter sends. as a tip experiment with a clean tone as it’s easier to hear unwanted clipping. diminishing output at the preamp and raising the inputs of all other devices to compensate wasn’t practical for me as it compromised s/n in the rig.

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
It works fine in my case really, the SCF has quite a wide range of input level setting available; I think I have its input trimpot close to the minimum and that way I didn't have to adjust my amp line out level VS my usual setting for the rack rigs set at +4dB nominal line level.

Marioverkill

Silver Supporting Member
Radial has a box to help with these type of setups now.

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
Radial has a box to help with these type of setups now.

Radial makes great stuff, this new one looks really nice and stereo.
I remember Meris have had one great 500 series preamp module that offers that kind of instrument level / high impedance effect loop.
Still not needed with a TC SCF though :)

mentoneman

@iam_krash how do you run it at higher voltage?

does anyone using the pedal in a rack setup have an audio or video clip of it in action?

of all of the elevendy billion experiments i've done over the years i never tried the scf as a rack chorus and now i am very curious!

i have owned both the pedal and the 1210, and i will have to say the 1210 was a much more robust and enjoyable sounding effect!

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
i have owned both the pedal and the 1210, and i will have to say the 1210 was a much more robust and enjoyable sounding effect!

Not sure what you mean by this?
I have both, and find that the SCF pedals (old early ones especially) are amazing and use them much more than the rack to be honest; one of the very best stereo effect / splitter in front of amps in particular, that's where they shine IMHO.

About the power voltage:

It will work at line level...
Especially if you run it at 18-24v!

@iam_krash how do you run it at higher voltage?

Those old SCF have wall AC voltage input (100 / 240V) and transform this internally to regulated 15V DC. So not sure to understand what "running at higher voltage" could be VS the stock setup? You won't "gain" anything by changing the input voltage from original setup.
Only mods I'm aware of are to change them to DC inputs so that the (cumbersome for some) wall AC input can be removed, but I'm not aware of this yielding to "better sounding" or having any impact on line level capability :huh

mentoneman

Not sure what you mean by this?
I have both, and find that the SCF pedals (old early ones especially) are amazing and use them much more than the rack to be honest; one of the very best stereo effect / splitter in front of amps in particular, that's where they shine IMHO.
i’d love to hear any recordings you may have of the scf running that way. i’m very curious.

had the old version black and white and the newer version purple logo SCF pedal, and only ran them in front of clean amps in stereo. beautiful sounding.

this might be apples oranges but running after a clean preamp or loaded amp, the 1210 had more low end, fuller top end, and because i ran the 1210 to perform more like a chorus on one side and a flanger on the other in separate mode, it was just a much more dramatic effect to me. and the ability to flip it to spacial expansion mode made it a scf killer.

About the power voltage:

Those old SCF have wall AC voltage input (100 / 240V) and transform this internally to regulated 15V DC. So not sure to understand what "running at higher voltage" could be VS the stock setup? You won't "gain" anything by changing the input voltage from original setup.
Only mods I'm aware of are to change them to DC inputs so that the (cumbersome for some) wall AC input can be removed, but I'm not aware of this yielding to "better sounding" or having any impact on line level capability :huh

pfrischmann

Gold Supporting Member
i’d love to hear any recordings you may have of the scf running that way. i’m very curious.

had the old version black and white and the newer version purple logo SCF pedal, and only ran them in front of clean amps in stereo. beautiful sounding.

this might be apples oranges but running after a clean preamp or loaded amp, the 1210 had more low end, fuller top end, and because i ran the 1210 to perform more like a chorus on one side and a flanger on the other in separate mode, it was just a much more dramatic effect to me. and the ability to flip it to spacial expansion mode made it a scf killer.
There is a HUGE price difference between an SCF and a 1210 these days.

Anje

Silver Supporting Member

Sorry I don't have any meaningful recording of my rigs with the SCF available to share; which "that way" are you referring to?
I mostly use mine in front of amps in stereo, clean or dirty. Got my first one when trying to get that clean 80's tone of Eric Johnson, and found it to be equally good for subtle but wide stereo imaging in front of dirty amps.
The 1210 is indeed more versatile and can do more, it's kind of like 2 higher spec SCF in one box with powerful signal path control; it's also much more expensive and not so easy/compact to use. Better suited to full rack and/or studio work post amp and/or at the console for mixing IMHO.
The SCF pedal is still working very fine as well that way for line level work for that stereo split, may be slightly less "expensive" sounding but still great for such compact box if all you need is a very good "set and forget" subtle wide stereo chorus/flanger.

mentoneman

*that way* as in line level after a preamp in a rack config.

i got my first one because of ej too! it was road hard with tons of nicks and chips in the paint, but sounded killer. i think you guys may have inspired me to try the pedal the "rack way" now!

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, they really are one of the very best pedal effects of all time to me.
Worth trying in a rack post preamp/amp setup too IMHO if that's the kind of stereo chorus/flanger sound you're looking for.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom