can the timmy do clean boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wembleyisgreen, May 18, 2006.

1. wembleyisgreen

wembleyisgreen Member

I need a clean boost and was wondering if the timmy could do the clean boost thing. Its either that or a zvex sho. Can the timmy do the sho thing? also how many DB's is the boost on the timmy? thanks

2. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

i've got a timmy and i think you could definitely use it as a clean boost. it seems to have plenty, if not more, db's than i need. very interactive EQ that probably the most interactive pedal i've ever had. extremely responsive to even an armhair knob tweak. very dynamic pedal. get one!!

3. trucks

trucks Member

The Timmy does an excellent clean boost. I don't know how many DB's it pushes, but I had a SHO and it really pushed hard. The SHO adds a bit of sparkle which can be cool. Now I am using a Lovepedal Twin 60 which is a wonderful 2 channel boost.

4. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

The Timmy can do clean boost for sure. If you'd like a copy of the instructions/user guide PM me your email and I'll send it to you. Paul describes how to get the flat clean boost.

I actually have 3 pedals on my board right now which will all function as clean boosts:-Timmy, Klon, RC Booster

I actually prefer Timmy as a low-gain overdrive and use the RC for transparent boosting and the Klon for a fat boost with a touch of overdrive. They'll all do great clean boosts with different flavours though.

IMO the Timmy is still the boost/drive pedal bargain of the century.

5. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

Just thought I'd throw out the BYOC Triboost as well. It has a mosfet boost, a germanium full/treble boost and a boost based on the EH LPB. I should state for the record that I haven't tried one myself, just thought it looked interesting and seems to cover alot of ground. Paul C's Timmy might be the way to go though. I think I'd go for the Timmy and here's why: I could use it as a boost with the uncommon advantage of an EQ section, if I don't like it as a boost I end up with a sweet OD. Win win! Good luck in your hunt.

6. thebot

thebot Member

I love the Zvex SHO - with my gear just makes the clean sound fantastic, does really add a nice bit of sparkle.

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

C'mon Realfi...where's the Etern Love :)

8. Realfi

Off the board at present due to lack of room and a bit of a Klon infatuation. When I get my new board it may make a return.

I do like it though I won't be selling it-I'll at least keep it as a recording toy.

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

It's a great pedal...works with everything!! :) Thinking a 2nd might be in order soon...although i might cool it for a while after my last purchase. Need to go to rehab for a while. LOL

10. Realfi

Ah yes mate...I did comment on that!;)

11. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

The Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso is another nice clean boost choice.

12. sandman

sandman Member

+1

and not too pricey.Especially for us in Europe...

13. meterman

meterman Member

Here's a clip of the Timmy set for clean boost, gain barely cracked and EQ full CCW, volume for a moderate boost. MIJ maple neck Strat w/ Kinman Classics and TopHat Club Deluxe amp.

1. http://www.streamload.com/Paul_dig/EL/TCSBA9I632/TIM-Timmy_clean.mp3

I agree about the SHO and Super Duper adding high end, they are great pedals with the right amp but with a bright amp and/or guitar it can be too much....

14. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

It can do a clean boost, but if you want a completely transparent boost of volume and maybe a little more warmth, get an RC Booster. If you want a very low gain OD with some grit, get the Timmy.

Anyway, Realfi, how do you like the Eternity with the RC? I'm getting an eternity soon to go along with the COT50 and RC Booster combo I have here.