can the timmy replace...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Keith SIO, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

My pulp mill, mule, and silver kiss. Looking for one nice dirt pedal that does it all from lite grit to medium grit. I'd like to have one pedal instead of 3! DOes it have the bite like my mule? and the clarity of my kiss and mule.

would like to use it with single coils mostly, but is it good with humbuckers too?

2. erksin

erksin Member

The Timmy has a little more clarity than the SK (the SK has some very mild compression that is absent in the Timmy), but not the same amount of gain from either the SK or the Mule - they both have quite a bit more on tap.

The Pulp Mill is a comp, right? No compression from the Timmy...

3. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

hmm...so I dig a nice medium grit from my od, the timmy isn't for me? I use my pulp mill as a little clean boost with a little comp.

I only use my silver kiss with the gain around 10 oclock-12 and my mule with the gain at 10-11 oclock, so i am not really cranking that much gain out...

ps. my main problem is that I never know which of the 3 I want to use. I want one pedal that could get close to all of these tones, but I would love stomping it everytime i wanted overdrive.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Maybe a Tim would be better then - you could kick on the boost side for medium gain stuff.

5. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

mind if I PM you a song I am working on to give you an example? I feel like the gain I am looking for may be low enough for a timmy do do the job. Don't really know though.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Sure.

7. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

actually, I guess the new rules let me post a demo right on here for a pedal. the mule and silver kiss are both being used in the verse and the choruses (separate tracks), then a mayo at the end. This song will sound incompelte since there are no solos or leads added yet.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/59474_track_02.mp3

btw guitar is strat, amp is peavey classic 50

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I have the SK and the Timmy. Medium grit is Timmys name. The SK has grit to cut like glass. They are certainly very different. I prefer the Timmy grit. I actually use two timmys. . . one for boost/eq. I love the SK, but something's got to give. I could go through a whole gig with the Timmy, going from boost to grit to approaching high gain. I am not as big of a fan of the SK's higher dirt sounds. . .

9. hbentley

hbentley Member

the timmy is a darn good. i haven't played your other pedals, but the timmy is excellent for low to medium overdrive. sounds great with lots of different amps and guitars.

10. erksin

erksin Member

Is yours a Mk 1 Silver Kiss, orogeny? My MK 2 isn't really glassy at all - but it does have a nice Voxy-style cut to it.

I have both Timmy versions and have played both SK versions and I think the SK does medium gain tones better than the Timmy because of the added flexibility of the midrange control.

But this stuff is so rig-dependent, opinions don't really mean much anyway - you gotta try these things for yourself...

11. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

yes, the silver kiss is a mk 1. Caberetlinda, pretty sure it is unmodded. I wouldn't describe mine as glassy. The midrange control is super helpful i suppose.

I am hesitant to go for a timmy, because I would end up selling both of my pedals to fund it. Wouldn't want to be disappointed if the timmy doesn't do what i want.

12. erksin

erksin Member

Why not just get on the list and pay $100 for one? You don't pay until it's ready anyway...

Listened to your clip - I think the Timmy would give you enough gain for those parts.

13. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

I don't think I can be deciding between my kiss and mule for a whole year while I wait. I was always a mule guy untill my kiss came in the mail. The kiss can almost do the mule, but not quite perfectly.

14. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

its not a year- about 4-5 months when I talked to Paul last week

15. erksin

erksin Member

Correct...

16. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

This is a much shorter time than it was a little while back??? I thought it was a year wait...If it is 4-5, that is pretty tempting.

17. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

Very good question. I emailed Nic for the same answer. . . mine isn't stamped with the mk2, but I was under the impression it was post-mods, minus the center-eq detent. . . . .thang. It is #88. Haven't heard back yet. Maybe I should call. . . I understood that the first 30 were different. Meanwhile, my rig and speakers are pretty bright, but that will change in a week with a new amp. If my SK is still around, I will give it a go. . . I DO agree that the mid contour is excellent. The BASS on the SK is enough to kick you in the balls if you want as well. I always used the treble to cut. . . . .

Voxy style is an excellent analogy. It does that in spades. I've learned that fendery is more my thang, however. . .

18. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Barber LTD is an good one.

19. Keith SIO

Keith SIO Member

right now I just really want to try out a hot cake or a timmy. If they don't work, I will jsut have to give one of the mule or sk the boot.

20. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I had a Hotcake, and currently have both a Timmy and SK (on the same board). They're both really nice pedals, but the Timmy would be last to go. It's way more integral to my setup than the SK.