Can this be done, please help?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kurt1981, Jul 10, 2008.

1. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hello all, I had a strange question for you guys. I own a tom anderson droptop with H/S/H pickup configuration. I love the guitar, but really am not liking the humbucker in the neck. I'm wondering, is there any way to sort of jerry-rig a single coil pickup in a humbucker slot? I didn't know if there was some kind of bracket or something I could put in there, or if I'm just kind of wishing the impossible? If I cannot do this, what would you guys recommend for a pickup swap, to get the most single coil-like tone out of a full sized humbucker. I have a splitter on the current pickup, but it is only about 60 percent there for me, it's a bit thin and lifeless.
    Thanks, and sorry if this is just a ridiculous question,
    Kurt

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

It's not a ridiculous question at all...if your current setup isnt doing it for you, then it's time to fix it. My first suggestion is to call Tom Anderson and have a chat about what's involved to do the job right. Since you have an HSH guitar with coil taps, there may be more changes involved than just the pickups (pots, switches, etc). He can easily send you a new HSS pickguard and could probably recommend the appropriate neck pickup to meet your needs. You may as well start thinking about the switching layout as well, since now would be the time to change it.

Option 2 would be to order a new pickguard from Anderson, and then order a new wiring harness from someone like RS Guitarworks or Acme Guitar Works. Then you can sell your existing HSH as a complete unit to recoup some of the cost (or you can just hang on to it for another guitar).

3. kurt1981

Oh, I forgot to mention a crucial detail, my apologies. The guitar has pickups mounted to the body like a gibson, so the new pick guard idea wouldn't work. Sorry, I completely spaced that part. Thanks for the help, and again, my apologies,
    Kurt

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

5. UMT

UMT Member

I bought some plastic 'humbucker plate' things on Ebay ( I believe) that cover a humbucker space and are cut for a single coil pickup. I only play HH's but I had the urge to try a single coil in the neck position and I saw these things. They come in different colors, work slick, and didn't look bad either. I still have some in black and ivory in my parts box. It's a great idea for a routed guitar but it's basically just a flat piece of colored plastic that covers the humbucker rout with a single coil size cutout.

I found them: its a Ebay store called "The Guitar Parts Center"

[​IMG]http://stores.ebay.com/The-Guitar-Parts-Center_W0QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Look at the 'Humbucker to Single Trim Rings'

This is EXACTLY what you need.

UMT

6. countandduke

countandduke Member

Hey Kurt, what about your current neck pickup don't you like? I would talk that over with Mr. Anderson and maybe he can recommend something that will work for you.

This might be one of those "perfect reasons" to get a new guitar???:banana

Take care and good luck.

Chris

PS Kidding about the new guitar idea but then again.... :)

7. kurt1981

Hey guys, thanks for the ideas. With two andersons already, I don't think I could swing a third. I'll check out those rings, looks aren't as important to me, so that may just work,
    Thanks again,
    What I don't like is the sort of dark quality of the neck pickup, and when I split it, it's too thin and lifeless. I played teles for a long time and love the neck pickup of a tele,
    Thanks,
    Kurt

8. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

In humbucking mode, are the coils in series or parallel? Perhaps configuring them the other way would help.

9. kurt1981

I've done both, I have his switcharoo system so I have series always nd it can either be split or parallel in the other position. It just lacks the sparkle of a true single coil, plus the parallel option is a bit wek comparatively.
    Kurt

10. kurt1981

Hey guys, bumping this for any other ideas, I'm thinking about trying those plastic covers that will accomidate single coils, but I'm wondering if that'll mess with anything, with a large cavity and having the single coil only filling half of it. Any thoughts?
    Kurt

11. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Well..........

You could try wiring it so that the parallel option actually becomes single coil instead. I don't know how you're wired currently so I can't tell you how easy that'll be to do, but if it's not too difficult I'd definately take a few minutes to just try it, and see what you're humbucker does as a single coil. You may hate it...you may not.

12. kurt1981

Actually, one of the options I have with the switcharoo on this guitar is a set of internal switches that let you go either parallel or singlecoil for each pickup. Very cool, though I find parallel a bit hard to use live.
    Thanks,
    Kurt

13. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

14. tfaith08

tfaith08 Member

Call seymour duncan or dimarzio and ask them for a pickup suggestion.

or do what i did on an old guitar of mine. Find a single coil you like, and just jb weld it beside another one and just hook it up. find a piece of plastic to (again) jb weld to the bottom for a mount and drill holes.