Can this be done? Reamping question...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jpage, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Currently my band mics everybody up--actually keys and bass go direct--and we record everyone separately on a Zoom R24 unit. I take the memory card out at the end of practice and when I get home I throw the individual tracks down on Cubase and send everyone a rough mix. If it's a particularly decent performance, I'll spend more time on it, and if I really like it I've found I can polish it up pretty well.

We are going to get another Zoom because they are pretty cheap, easy to operate, sound good and if we chain two together we can now have 16 tracks to work with. Along with another vocal and 4 more drum tracks, I want to run a separate track--in addition to my mic'd cab--that I can use after the fact in case I want to play around with reamping and doubling my own guitar track. Maybe even do the same with the bass signal.

Now I figure I'll need some sort of DI box--what else? Thoughts? Am I way off base thinking that this can be done easily?

2. jpage

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Never used a Zoom, so I don't know if it can be done, but I'm responding to bump it up to the top of the page.

Here's my questions. . .Are you going to try re-amping a dry guitar signal after laying it down? Or, are you asking about running directly from the guitar with a split signal, one into the amp and the other into the Zoom? If you're doing that, you don't really have to re-amp the guitar's clean signal. . .just use an amp simulator plug-in.

4. jmoose

jmoose Member

I'm not familiar with the Zoom box but looking at it, its a 24-track deck so why would you need another one for 16 tracks? You mean inputs? Rather then that I'd hunt down a used mixer... probably get a used Smackie 1604 for about $300 all day long and pump that into the Zoom.

If you want to do actual reamping then yeah, you need a DI box to get in and a reamp box to get back out. Rather then incur that expense, a few hundred bucks... I'd invest in better microphones, and better yet... invest in your own skillset of capturing great sounds in the first place.

5. jpage

The Zoom unit has 8 inputs so it can record 8 tracks simultaneously. I want to be able to record 16 seperate tracks simultaneously, so we are chaining another unit in. I need a small footprint (3'x4') and need to be able to take care of everything with one hand, sometimes while I am playing. Which is why I like the Zoom. Unless I am missing something, a mixer would mean I would not have tracks recorded individually so that wouldn't be an option, would it?

Not sure what you are saying about investing in mics and/or my "skillset"--I'm asking a specific question about reamping...did I say I didn't like my mics? Or the tone I'm getting for that matter? Not sure what you are getting at there...do you know me LOL? I can get a combo DI/reamp box for a couple hudred bucks--I understand most here have a "mic locker" and high powered computers that you are running mixers into--not an option in my case. But thanks for the input/feedback.

6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Yeah, just take a di split off you guitar, record it, then play it back in cubase and feed it to an amp.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

How would you sync them?

Are you using this thing for your PA, too?

I understand wanting to get the most flexibility, but what's the end game here? Are any of these recordings going to be used for anything other than practice reference?

If not, just get the best sound you can, out of the 8-tracks and practice getting better at writing and playing.

If you are planning on using this as a way to record racks for something you may actually use, I'd get something like an Alesis HD-24, or some sort of 16 I/O interface and do it correctly. It wouldn't cost much more and would be much more convenient.

8. jpage

I want to continue to run my "normal" guitar signal through my pedal board and into my amp, which I will continue to mic. On top of this, I want the option of reamping a guitar feed after the fact, through another amp, which I believe I can do with the direct box from Radial. I guess I am wondering if I can run "through" the Radial on my pedalboard, and split the signal out (use it as a DI) to another channel of the R16...I need to look into the Radial unit.

9. jpage

No we don't use this for our PA--only to record. Again, I have no issue with the sounds I am getting with my current mics through the R16 (actually a cheaper version of the R24). Nor am I asking for validation--I understand now that I never should have mentioned the word "Zoom" because I think it threw you all off track. Not exactly sure what my "end game" has to do with the question that I asked...the Alesis unit is MUCH more expensive ($2000 vs $350), and a computer & 16 I/O interface is FAR from more convenient for me in my situation. Are we cutting an album with this? No. Are we using it for some rough demos and live recordings to hand out at bars, friends, prospective employers? Yes. Although again, I'm not sure why I have to defend my motives LOL.

10. loudboy

loudboy Member

I was just interested in knowing why you're on this particular quest. Sometimes people spend a lot of time/money on things that may seem like a great idea at the time, but in the end are counter-productive to their actual goals.

Having 16-tracks of multi-track of every practice sounds like serious overkill to me, unless there's a possibility that they may wind up on a record, eventually.

As to your original question, yes you should be able to do it, but I don't know how you're going to get the 2 machines to sync.

11. jpage

Our goals are to rock out in a bunch of different venues 2-3 times a month and make enough money to pay the bar tab a little grub and gas money. Throwing some CDs around with our website on them helps out a little bit, and it's dirt cheap. Plus we like hearing ourselves LOL. As for wasting money, a $350 investment is not something that I will lose any sleep over--it's a couple decent bottles of Scotch for cripes sake!

The R16/R24 are designed to chain together--if you are interested, google it. I have a good job, this is a hobby so there is very little chance I'm ending up on a record...what is a "record" anyway LOL? All good--thanks for the input.