Can this be fixed w/o a full refin?

Matt L

The rest of the guitar is in decent condition, just this damage on the back of the neck. Can that be repaired w/o being too noticable?

swiveltung

Is that a finish crack or wood crack? Either way it can be fixed, paint matching is what it's all about though. It can be spot painted and progressively sanded until it fairly unnoticeable. Not cheap and not easy.

AdmiralB

That'll be tough to paint-match, but it's doable. It's helpful that it's not metallic, and being a light color it'll hide any witness lines in clearcoat pretty well. I'm not sure what they use - I'd assume polyurethane, but their finishes are so hard sometimes I wonder if it's not polyester.

That's a bigger patch than I've ever done but I'm pretty confident that I could do it. I'm not soliciting, just commenting that if I, as an amateur, could do this than it shouldn't be a big deal for a pro. But I suspect it'll cost more to do right than you'd think.

Again, the trick will be the color match (if you hadn't heard that yet).

XSSIVE

D'Avanzo Guitars
Silver Supporting Member
Good excuse to strip it down to bare wood and oil it.

cjp54

You could just refin the neck! That's what I would probably do. Most likely cheaper than the extra effort to match it exact and would probably look better. My 2 cents!

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty easy to refinish it so you won't feel the repair, but with poly, almost impossible to make it invisible. CJP has the right idea... refinishing the whole neck would be the way to go.

3dognate

If that's a US Jackson... it'd be worth it to send it to GMP for one of their bad ass paint jobs...

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
It can be done. The color has to be feathered and the whole neck will get oversprayed.

AdmiralB

Yes... (Both houses do amazing paint work though)

My single experience with GMW turned out really beautiful, but had a dipped-in-acrylic vibe. I'm guessing it was polyester, because it was really hard, but the clear seemed a mile thick.

But it was gorgeous, and they were fast and very communicative.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom