Can this pu'p be fixed? One pole sounds phased and quiet.

jonny guitar

Hey, just bought this peavey guitar and it has a weird problem with the middle p'up (single coil with set pole peices). When I play the D string I get a weird 1/2 volume of other strings phased sound; the rest of the strings are just fine but the D is screwed.

I know that if the p'up is out of phase, all the strings sound like this but I am stumped as to the single magnet having problems. I am leaning towards..."this p'up is messed up". Any ideas for me?

I got one response on HC: "If it's a traditional strat pickup with magnets as poles I would say that pole has lost it's charge" but he didn't explain what this means or if I could fix it myself.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may contribute.

RvChevron

Hey, just bought this peavey guitar and it has a weird problem with the middle p'up (single coil with set pole peices). When I play the D string I get a weird 1/2 volume of other strings phased sound; the rest of the strings are just fine but the D is screwed.

I know that if the p'up is out of phase, all the strings sound like this but I am stumped as to the single magnet having problems. I am leaning towards..."this p'up is messed up". Any ideas for me?

I got one response on HC: "If it's a traditional strat pickup with magnets as poles I would say that pole has lost it's charge" but he didn't explain what this means or if I could fix it myself.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may contribute.

Try tap on the pole with a screw driver and see if it has as strong a pull as the other poles. If not, it's buzzed and will need to be recharged/re-magnetized.

Happened to me once when I bought a BRAND NEW Dimarzio HS-2 pickup. The low E was weak and all, I checked and the magnet was noticeably weaker than the others. Send it back to Dimarzio and they fixed it and they also threw in a new strap to compensate for my trouble.:MMM

jonny guitar

^ thanks for that. The D one is noticeably weaker ie. I can notice a small difference -- like 90% of what the others have; would this be enough to cause what you speak of.

RvChevron

^ thanks for that. The D one is noticeably weaker ie. I can notice a small difference -- like 90% of what the others have; would this be enough to cause what you speak of.
I don't know. That low E pole on the hs2 before they fixed it had definitely less than just 90% of the others.

I was actually using a small thin steel ruler to test the strength of the polepieces and the low E was noticeably weaker.

Did you contact Peavey and see what they'll do?

jonny guitar

^ So far they have chosen to ignore me but I am going to bug them again and see what they think.

Thanks for your input.

Trending Topics