Can those in the Neo know share their thoughts/recommedations?

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I've been contemplating picking up a new amp to make grab n go easier. I have an original Bad Cat 15R, which I like a lot, but I don't like lugging it around.

I've come to the conclusion that swapping out the speaker and saving 6-7 pounds is likely a better alternative in the long run. Certainly it's a smaller investment.

I'm looking for a speaker that's

1) Neo
2) 50 watts handling so I can use it elsewhere as needed
3) a great all around sound but specifically NOT prone to ice picky trebles.

Thoughts?

I have 4 of the Celestion Century Vintage 12's. They sound great once they break in. Out of the box they have a metallic sound to them. Supposedly they are a Vintage 30 with a Neo magnet instead of ceramic. I don't think they sound as good as a Vintage 30 though. Not as gnarly as a Vintage 30, but still nice.

7thString

I had a Neo creamback for a while. Liked it a lot, especially for cleans and edge of breakup. It didn't like being pushed HARD but amps up to ~30w would be perfect IMO.

lemonpaul59

I've been contemplating picking up a new amp to make grab n go easier. I have an original Bad Cat 15R, which I like a lot, but I don't like lugging it around.

I've come to the conclusion that swapping out the speaker and saving 6-7 pounds is likely a better alternative in the long run. Certainly it's a smaller investment.

I'm looking for a speaker that's

1) Neo
2) 50 watts handling so I can use it elsewhere as needed
3) a great all around sound but specifically NOT prone to ice picky trebles.

Thoughts?

So far so good with the Celestion Neo Creambacks. 4 pounds. I replaced a V30 in my 50 watt RedPlate. For me, the Neo is a better speaker. I play jazz and electric fusion-blues type stuff, so I need an extremely good clean sound as I do an overdrive sound.

The Neo does fine at both for me, does the "creamy" overdrive thing extremely well. Sounds like the original Celestion Creamback to my ears.

It needs break-in time, certainly a few hours.

I don't play metal so I can't say how these would do for that. If you like vintage Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Santana etc sound, the Neo Creamback might be just the ticket. Does the D-style overdrive quite well.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I put a Neo Creamback in my Mesa MarkV:35. Right out of the box it sounded very close to the Mesa C90 that came out of the combo. Now that it's a little more broken in (6 weeks old now and three recent gigs) It's just a great speaker for that amp. Nice tight lows and the top end stays very smooth and pleasing even w/OD, it pays proper attention and is true to the Fender'y top end in the clean channel. Gives up nothing someone with dog ears might hear differently. I'm very pleased with this application for the Neo Creamback, sounds great and love having a 38lb Mesa MV35 1X12 combo.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies. I happened upon a 10% off sale at amplified parts that ends tonight and took it as a sign from above and ordered the speaker. Currently have a 20 scumback in the amp. This should definitely lighten the load.

lemonpaul59

I put a Neo Creamback in my Mesa MarkV:35. Right out of the box it sounded very close to the Mesa C90 that came out of the combo. Now that it's a little more broken in (6 weeks old now and three recent gigs) It's just a great speaker for that amp. Nice tight lows and the top end stays very smooth and pleasing even w/OD, it pays proper attention and is true to the Fender'y top end in the clean channel. Gives up nothing someone with dog ears might hear differently. I'm very pleased with this application for the Neo Creamback, sounds great and love having a 38lb Mesa MV35 1X12 combo.

That is some good news. I have a few Boogies I haven't paired with a Neo Creamback with quite yet. I figured the Neo would be nice with Boogies, who seem to always have "dark" sounding speakers. A brighter speaker could make them a bit more D-style like. Might be nice if Boogie made Neo Creambacks optional.

The bad news? I'll probably be giving away a few V30s and C90s for free in the near future.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
The best thing about a Neo is that if you don't like it you can ship it off for WAY cheaper than a regular speaker!

BlueRiff

I tried them twice and couldn't warm to them.. too chiseled of a sound vs. ferrite mag.

BlueRiff

Please elaborate on the descriptor "chiseled"?
I had the Emi Tonkerlite and Deltalite speakers and in both cases the not attack was very tight.. too hard really giving a "chiseled" abruptness. This might not have been because of new magnets. Just my experience that I found Ferrite magnets to be a bit softer and warmer note attack even with tight speaker. Time has gone in I'm sure they've improved.

Figaro

Alessandro sells Jensen type Neo speakers that sound great. The Neo speakers that I've tried have a tighter, cleaner sound, but I like the extra clarity. I happen to have two of the Alessandro 10" Neos for sale in the Emporium. :)

ajoep

I had a Jensen Tornado (100 watts) in my BDRI. Sounded great and made the amp lighter.
Now that i've sold the BDRI, i kept the Tornado and put it in a 1X12 closed back Carvin cabinet.
Love that speaker !

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Celestion Neo Creamback in a RedPlate Magica combo. I agree with the comments from lemonpaul59, although the Magica is not a "D-style" amp.

Works great for me with both single-coils and humbuckers for Plexi-ish tones and 70's rock tones. I like it a lot.

lemonpaul59

I have the Celestion Neo Creamback in a RedPlate Magica combo. I agree with the comments from lemonpaul59, although the Magica is not a "D-style" amp.

Works great for me with both single-coils and humbuckers for Plexi-ish tones and 70's rock tones. I like it a lot.

Great to hear, but not a surprise to this RedPlate owner. Just about the perfect speaker for a Blackverb/RP50 style amp. Glad to hear it works so well with the Magica. I guess that's like a "Greenback" ?

Henry is aware of the Neo Creamback, hopefully he'll offer them as an option, if he hasn't already.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Great to hear, but not a surprise to this RedPlate owner. Just about the perfect speaker for a Blackverb/RP50 style amp. Glad to hear it works so well with the Magica. I guess that's like a "Greenback" ?

Henry is aware of the Neo Creamback, hopefully he'll offer them as an option, if he hasn't already.

I worked with Keith to buy the amp this past summer. They had just received the Neo and Keith tried the Magica with the Neo for me before I decided on which speaker to get. Keith's comment was that the Neo "reminded him of the old medium sized magnet 20 watt Greenback" and that "it does not have that V30 mid bark sound - it's much more refined". He said he liked it a lot, but it may be a little soft in the high end for some people. Avoiding the Marshally ice-pick high end was one thing that I wanted to do, so it works out for me.

I am by no means a speaker expert and have not spent any time at all swapping speakers in amps. I tend to just stick with what they come with. So, I really can't verify his comments. It works for me, and that's all that really matters.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom