Can Tiger Woods do what Ben Hogan did?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by habanaerosmith, Feb 12, 2015.

1. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

Ben Hogan had a near-fatal head-on car crash at the age of 36, took nearly a year to recover, and came back to play some of the best golf of his career.

Tiger is 39, but considering Tiger's fitness and athleticism combined with modern training, stretching and therapeutic techniques, it seems reasonable to assume that Tiger actually has an advantage despite the fact that he's three years older than Hogan was.

Hogan's advantage, of course, was that he didn't rely on swing 'gurus', so he wasn't wrestling with a head full of swing thoughts the way Tiger is.

Anyway, if Tiger gets himself 100% healthy, do you guys think he can recapture or even surpass his early form?

I personally think Tiger's got 5-10 years of potentially brilliant golf ahead of him if he does it right.

2. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Having watched some of his last rounds, he seems like he is mentally just not there. While golf is a physically exacting game, the mental part is what bites most people.

I don't think that he will be back to his dominant form ever again. He might win a couple of tournaments, but his glory days are behind him.

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

He can never be 25 again. Can he be great again? Number one? Win majors? I think it's possible, but it just depends on him.

100% healthy would include mentally healthy as well. I'm not suggesting he's mentally ill! I mean from a focus on golf perspective. With all the stops and starts he's had due to physical issues, it's not surprising he's had a hard time getting his mental edge back.

4. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Tiger can do whatever he puts his mind to do. Hogan probably practiced more than anyone else on the planet, and was rewarded with swing that even a major car accident couldn't kill. About the only other person on the planet that had such total control was Moe Norman, and I don't know what was up with him. Some people just got it.

Tiger's never been in the same league as those two with his swing. Who is? He's a young guy, but he's been doing this for so long already, I have to think he's maybe just gotten fatigued of the whole thing.

I won't be surprised if he's away for a year or two, and then just comes back out for a couple of big tournaments and majors every so often, just for the heck of it to see if he really can beat Jack's record. He used to look like he loved golf and was having a good time. Something changed, maybe 10 years ago, and it started looking like he hated it and it was just work. Maybe it just needs to be fun again for him.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

If any of the PED rumors are true, the answer is no. His fitness level has put so much more torque on his body than any other golfer. His body is damaged and he is the most oft-injured modern day golfer, it seems that it's "this knee, that back, this shoulder" every year. The violence in his swing puts so much more stress on his muscles and joints compared to the average pro IMHO.

6. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

Sure he can. People (media) speak of Tiger like he is Methuselah at 39 then two minutes later talk about Jimmy Walker like he was just born at 36. All because JW is winning and leaving a trail of top 10's. It's a perception thing. Tiger has been written off before. The golf world crowned a new king a few times and he came back and won 5 times in 2013.

Lot's of high ranked current pro golfers are older than TW and quite a few have played good golf post back surgery. IMO he gets too much press. He's either being worshiped or criticized and it has everything to do with winning. Soon as he wins again and he will the media will flip flop and he will "be back".

Keep in mind it was just 18 months or so ago when people were calling Mcilroy Rory Duval when he started to struggle after the switch to Nike. These guys have ups and downs. Golf is HARD.

7. Belmont

Belmont Member

I agree, his swing has damaged his body.
    if he can figure out a way to calm it down he might have a few more years left, but if he stays with the same voilent swing, his body may never stand up to it.
    the game has also passed him by, the young guns are hitting bombs and have the short game to match it.
    he's a fighter though and I hope he surprises me and proves me wrong.

8. taez555

taez555 Member

If you wanna be like Tiger Woods,
    Brett Favre did it, so you know you could!
    Become the king of your neighborhood
    Like Steel Panther and Tiger Woods

9. Bozak

Bozak Member

He can certainly bounce back, he just needs rest and proper exercise, I think the heavy lifting like a maniac and bulking up was not good for him in the long run (note to Rory) it puts an enormous strain on the core muscles being so strong and now TW looks like Frankenstein out there.

I don't think this is a PED issue, even if he did it, I think it's just an age, injury and rust problem, he's not playing enough and he's busted up.

He should be eating light, slimming down, maybe yoga or something easy, no more weight lifting, walk many practice rounds, see you in six months.

10. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

He hasn't played any. He needs reps. I used to go out by myself and play, and if I mishit one, keep dropping balls until I hit it correctly. Sometimes I'd hit 3 balls off the tee and play all of them. Forget the driving range. If he'd do that for a month, he'd be in pretty good shape.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  11. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

12. Seth L

He'll be at the Masters playing much better, I think.

13. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Don't forget that Hogan basically had to learn how to WALK again, much less play golf. So that level of comeback, maybe not. But I do think TW has a couple more majors in his bag.

14. Seth L

I would say I practice much less now. One, I've been hurt, and two, I want to spend as much time as I can with my kids. I have split custody, so when I'm at home, I want to be home with them, take them to a soccer game or to school or to activities, whatever it is. I'm their dad.
    [...]
    I just have to manage my time practices differently. Over the years, especially now that they're getting a little older where they're getting more activities after school, that plays a role in my practice time and it's just so, it's just life. It's just the way it is. I would much rather have it that way than not be able to see my kids.

15. ford

ford Supporting Member

Even when Tiger was winning everything I argued he still probably wouldn't pass Jack...

Its just such a high number and so many factors play into it...

PED rumors have been around for a long time... would anyone be surprised if Tiger had juiced....no. Not saying he did. I'm no doctor.

I think he wins between 0-2 more majors.

In the end its all up to him getting his once amazing short game back.

16. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

So you're one of THOSE guys, the kind that seems to be in front of me every round. Do you search every water hole for golf balls too? :waiting

17. Seth L

The thing that always separated him was his ability to make every putt inside of 10 feet. PED's don't do that.

18. Seth L

That was many years ago and no I never searched for golf balls. It was pretty easy to do before Tiger got famous.

19. gigs

gigs Member

Tiger is done. His body is beat up and he looks completely bored of the whole PGA schtick. Physically and mentally he has checked out of the game.

He's been groomed since the age of 5 to be "Tiger" and that physical and mental pressure has finally got the best of him. I can't blame him. I'm not even convinced he loves the game anymore or if he ever really did.

20. aknow

aknow Member

Hogan's advantage was excellent body mechanics during the golf swing. Tiger's mechanics are a total mess. So is his lower back. He also has bad kharma. He'll win a lot of $500 Nassau's.