Can Tim replace both an OCD and Fatboost ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soulgolem, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hello all, I like my OCD a lot, but my fatboost is a little shrill with my AC30 and I'm seriously gassing for a Tim, they're pretty expensive on eBay, but if I get rid of my OCD and Fatboost, I can afford it, would this be a good trade ? Do they sound similar, I read tons of posts about the Tim and I read somewhere that it was the same type of OD than the OCD.

Francis.

2. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

3. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Really ? Nobody ?

4. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

The Tim is VERY different than the OCD, more transparent, touch sensitive
    and more natural sounding. You can only activate the boost if the otherside of pedal is engaged so I'm not too sure about comparing that to a FB. But you certain can use the pedal as a clean boost and use a OCD for dirt.

5. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

The Tim is an awesome pedal. I've never played an OCD or a Fatboost, but from what I've heard about the OCD, I don't think so...the gain on the Tim is probably a bit fuzzier than the OCD tends to be (this is all speculation for me, by the way). Sorry I couldn't be more of a help! :(

6. Marty McFly

Marty McFly Member

Proving that we all have different ears and tastes, I (respectfully) have a different perspective.

Just got my Timmy (not the Tim) last week, and it overlapped enough with my OCD V3 that Timmy took it's spot on my board.

The OCD certainly has more gain on tap, but I never had the gain more than noon. Having the gain of the Timmy at noon or higher has plenty of crunch, yet is a bit more open and transparent than the OCD.

Just my 2 cents.

7. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i've got a TIM and the OCD is a different animal.... i don't know if you can compare that easily, how much punch are you looking for? are you a rocker or a sesitive player? the fat boost is different. i got a buddy who's got the two set up and it sounds really sweet... nothing like my tim though.

8. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

I think I'll never know until I try the Tim.. !! Thanks for the infos guys !

9. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

+1. Try it with your rig...there are so many factors to consider and in the end, what sounds best to you matters most.