Can Timmy and Barber LTD sound the same?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spiritofeden, Feb 6, 2008.

1. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I'm a happy owner of a Timmy. I've been reading good things about Barber LTD but many claim that Timmy can do the same and more. Is it true? Is it useless to have both on the bedalboard? Is there anyone who had the chance to A/B them and can compare their sound? I'd like to stop buying more than once the same sound:BEER

2. dB

dB Member

I've owned the LTD, LTD SR, and currently have a Timmy and a Dove. While the Barber pedals are great for the money, they don't sound nearly as wide open and lively as the Timmy. The Timmy also has much greater eq capacity. I would argue that the Timmy is even more open than the Dove, but the Dove is a much more robust pedal in its abilities and range.

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

You can dial in a tone very similar to the SILVER LTD on the timmy ...not sure about the ltd which has more midrange. I preferred the timmy to the sltd especially for its versatility: squeaky clean boost, dirty boost, OD, eq etc.

4. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

To be honest I was mainly thinking about the LTD silver, so yout opinion is really usefull! So +2 for Timmy...

5. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

I had a prototype black LTD--Dave Barber sent me an early one--and frankly, it's long gone and replaced with a Timmy. No comparison. The LTD sounded sterile; the Timmy sounds lush. YMMV.

6. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

No, I'd say they have pretty different characteristics.

7. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I have both. Actually, an LTD with the pcb mod board. They're 2 different animals, but both do their job really well. I use my LTD for low-gain dirt and use my Timmy as a clean boost. To be honest...I've never even once used the Timmy as anyhting but. I have no idea what it sounds like as an OD pedal.

8. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I have heard that the new LTD is broader and more open, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. The Timmy is amazing in its ability to blend with the amp. I also found it more open. I like the LTD better when cranked, but like the Timmy better when riding the edge of gain IMO. The LTD has a tighter and less distorted low end. Where the Timmy sounds more ragged, the LTD is more smooth. Both are great pedals, though. :BEER

9. jb70

jb70 Member

the ltd sr is very transparent like the timmy. i had both at the same time and ended up keeping the ltd sr.

10. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

It's getting quite complicated!

11. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

I think you can get them to sound similar if you set them that way, but I think they are inherently different sounding pedals. I liked the Timmy more for a clean-ish boost or a overdrive with a little bit of grit. My silver LTD served me better for smooth sustaining leads.

12. dB

dB Member

In addition to what I posted earlier in this thread, I will add that I found the LTD to be more Tube Screamer-ish and the Timmy to be more amp overdrive-ish.

13. Rock72

Rock72 Member

To make it less complicated, get both and see what you think. The one you prefer less, flip oty on the Emporium. I got both (LTD and Tim) for that purpose, but ended up keeping both on the board :D

14. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I have to many ODS I'm afraid I might keep both!

15. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

This is what I have now. I have the LTD SR at 18V, and it seems a bit more open than the Timmy at 9V. Tomorrow, I'll jack the Timmy up to 18V for a fairer comparison.

FWIW, both are excellent "flat" boost/drives, and can be made to sound very very much alike in tone & feel.

NOTE: this is the SR I'm talking about. The original Black LTD is nothing like the SR or Timmy. Can't speak for the LTD Silver, never had one.

16. Wooley

Wooley Member

I own both, and do not think of them as being similar overdrives.

The LTD is a fairly middy (in a good way), medium compression, low-medium gain driver.

The Timmy is a more even, lower compression, wide-gain-range overdrive (I actually use mine as my highest-gain OD).

Both are excellent pedals, and it would totally make sense to me to have both on the board (oddly, I was considering just this earlier today).

That's my .02.

17. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

jb70 and myself are referring to the LTD SR. Big difference to the Silver & original Black LTDs.

18. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

OK: using as a CLEAN BOOST, adding a touch of gain, a touch of fatness. But NOT being used as an overdrive. The amp is set semi-clean, with power tubes cooking, sort of like a Brad Paisley-ish "clean with hair on it" tone, or maybe another good comparison would be like Greg V's semi-clean tones he does so well.

LTD SR @ 18V: has a very slightly more "scooped" midrange than the Timmy, which seems to give it a tiny bit more clarity. But really, it's so close only us crazies would notice.

Also, the bass seems a very little bit tighter (more modern) on the LTD SR. Again, so close...

Timmy @ 18V: Very slightly more mids, very slightly looser (vintage) bass.

Overall:I don't hear or feel either pedal being more or less compressed, or any more or less smoother, than the other. Very very close.

Admittedly, the Timmy's EQ is a bit more versatile, but the LTD SR does have trimpots inside for bass & presence. On-the-fly adjustments (for switching guitars/amps) would be easier with Timmy probably.

From what I'm hearing/feeling, it really does come down to the LTD SR sounding a bit more open (a very little bit), and having a more modern, tight, sound. Whereas the Timmy seems to be a bit (a very little bit) richer in the mids, with a slightly looser, more vintage sound.

I wanted to try them with different amp, but I currently only have one amp due to a large purge. But I kept the variables down: 1 amp (Black Pearl), 1 guitar(Fender Tele), 1 setting on the amp(see above), 1 setting on the pedals (slight bass boost, slight gain boost, slight treble cut).

I'm planning on keeping only one of these, and I'm having a very very hard time choosing, they are so similar (for MY usage.) I can usually make descisions about pedals pretty quickly, but I can see I'll have to live with both of these for awhile before I can decide... it may come down to simply "which one I step on more"...

19. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I think this shows that they are both good at doing what a good clean boost should do by not messing much with your fundamental tone, which is a good thing.

So in this case, I think the deciding factor for me would be how do they differ when used as an OD? I think there would be a lot more differences if they were both used at 9V and as a lowish gain OD into a clean amp. I've been debating myself as to whether I should add an LTD to a TIM. It'd be nice to use one as a clean boost and the other as an OD. What differences do you hear at these settings?

20. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Used as an OD, my comments stand. The diferences are purely in the EQ:

The Timmy has a bass & treble on top. Turn both "up" (which means CUTTING bass & treble) for more mids, turn them "down" for more full-range.

The LTD has 2 internal trimpots, for Bass & presence. The Tone knob outside is active: it boosts bass & cuts treble to the left, cuts bass & boosts treble to the right.

Only you can decide which EQ setup you would prefer. Both work well, but differently. But as for tone, they are very very close. Too close to call in words on a forum. You'd have to play them in your rig.

Personally, I wouldn't add an LTD to a Tim... or a Tim to an LTD. They are that close. (with the exception of the Tim's boost & compression settings, of course... that makes the Tim a slightly different animal). If you have one & love it, but just want another setting (e.g., a seperate pedal), I would just buy what you already know & love. Owning both like I do is turning out to be a PITA; I can't decide which one to keep!