Can Univibe Be Simulated?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shiny McShine, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I've had a Lovepedal Vibe and a Fulltone Deja 2 so I've compared those two pieces. I thought that the Deja was closer (almost dead on) to the original tones that I like by JH but my question is can this circuit be done without the photo cells and still sound authentic? I've listened to all the clips from virtually every maker and thought I had this settled but now I'm wondering if it's just that emulating it without the lights simply would be more expensive or impractical?

Also, I'd be curious to hear anyone's Axe-Fx takes on Univibe especially if it nails either a Gilmore version, Hendrix or Trower. However, I'm really talking about an analog approach here.

2. maromad89

maromad89 Member

Check out the Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe, it does use the photocells unlike many others. It is a great sounding pedal and very very cheap (Relatively)

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I thought that one sounded pretty good too.

4. Tomo

Tomo Member

Did you play yours right next real Uni-Vibe?

Tomo

5. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

NO CAN'T BE REALLY SIMULATED! if you have ever played a real vintage uni-vibe then you know it can't truely be simulated. cloned but not simulated! foxrox makes great vibes!

6. Franktone

Franktone Member

The Glass nexus does a good vibe simulation, and so does the Chicken Salad vibe. Certainly the good clones are better.

7. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I had both at the same time and the Vibe was a little more mechanical sounding. The Deja was warmer and more unpredictable. I think that might be the deal with the photocell approach is that they introduce some sort of inconsistancy? Tone was very usable on the Vibe. If I was a cover player and just needed the effect from time to time, the Vibe is perfect. I also adjusted the trim pot to make the effect quite subtle and it added a gentle shimmer on things in the slower settings. The Deja is the authentic circuit and like I said above, totally nailed the old Hendrix sounds. It did the Pink Floyd stuff well too. However, what I liked best about it was in the more subtle settings. I suddenly because aware that Page used it all over his rhythm tracks but barely noticeable. It's part of what I call his silver sound.

8. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The Nebula is the closest non photocell vibe I've tried. In a live situation, nobody would know the diff. The main problem is there is no control for intensity. It's set pretty well IMO.

9. Brad J

Brad J Member

If there was a mod to add an intensity control to the Nebula it's be perfect, is the circuit close to a Phase 45? Surely there would be mods out there for it.......

10. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

I well still favor the Vibrato on my old Magnatone 460 over anything else I have ever heard this side if a Leslie. I sold her, but not without reservations. Still Magnatone beats em all for that tone hands down. No pedal can come close.

I was spoiled I know. :(

11. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

Why would you want to emulate it without the lamp and photocells if they're less expensive and sound the best?

12. rewog

rewog Member

Danelectro Chicken Salad...
    • Uses Lamp and photocells
    • Sounds not too bad
    • Dirt Cheap

13. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I dialed in my Mini Deja Vibe to be about 99.9% on with the original UniVibe I owned. Did it side by side. It was very close.

14. clothwiring

I'm not going to get in a debate. I'm just telling you that it is very close and I don't need to go blow anymore cash to try and get closer. Like everything, they all vary a bit. At some point you go buy 5 vibes to try and see which is as good as a Uni-Vibe...you've spent as much cash as it would cost to buy an original.

15. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

The thing that's difficult to simulate is the way that the incandescent lamp and photocells respond to the drive from the LFO circuit.

The lamp takes time to heat up and cool down, which makes the light lag slightly behind the actual drive current. This means it may not actually reach full brightness before the drive current begins to drop again, especially at higher LFO rates. The LFO circuit was designed to compensate for this somewhat by increasing the drive current with the LFO rate.

The LDR cells change resistance with the amount of light they receive - the higher the light, the less the resistance. However, their resistance drops much faster than it comes back up, resulting in more of a sawtooth response.

Getting these response curves exactly right is key to making the swells sound like the original Uni-Vibe.

The reason for trying to simulate this circuit, rather than just cloning it, is because LDR's are made with cadmium, which has been banned in new products sold in the EU since 2006.

16. clothwiring

Nah, I just try to talk about an item the post is about...not veer from the post too far. Thank you.

17. clothwiring

That's very cool information. Thanks for sharing!

18. clothwiring

You too.

19. jgyn

jgyn Member

Can Univibe Be Simulated?

Not absolutely, in theory.

In practice, however... get the one that's close enough that fits within your budget!

20. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Cloned - Yes
    Emulated - Yes
    Simulated - No