Can velcro be removed from pedals without damage ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by valen, May 31, 2008.

1. valen

valen Member

I'm thinking taking the leap and getting a pedaltrain PT-2 and end the endless setup and tear down of pedals at every practice and gig. I don't really want to permanently alter my pedals though.

Do I have to remove the rubber feet from my pedals to use a Pedaltrain board ? Can I remove the velcro and glue from the pedals in the future so that no visible damage is done to the pedals ?

Or is there some other pedal mounting method that can be used ? Like tie-wraps for example ?

2. dancehall

dancehall Member

You pretty much have to remove the rubber feet but those things are like a dime a dozen and you probably can find exactly the same kind the pedal maker used if you really want to.

as far as removing velcro it depends on the pedal maker, depending on how they paint and finish the box it could take a bit of paint off.

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Lots of different ways to do it - I personally like to use WD-40, just take off the back plate, spray the velcro down and let it sit for 15 min, and then carefully pull the velcro off. Spray any residue left, let sit for another 15 minutes, and wipe it away. Soap and water works well to remove the WD-40 - and your done. I have done this dozens of times and never had an issue with paint damage. I like the WD-40 because it is cheap.

4. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

If you're really concerned about harming the finish on your pedals then make skid plates for them. Cut a piece of sheet metal (20 gauge or thicker) the same size as the bottom plate, and drill where the rubber feet or bottom plate mounting holes are located. Countersink the holes, if you've got the tools, and use flat head screws. Add a thin rubber or felt pad to the top side (to prevent the skid plate from scratching the pedal), and bolt to the bottom of the pedal. Add your Velcro hook sheet, and you're ready to go!

A general rule of thumb re. adhesives: If it's strong enough to stay on when you want it to, then it's going to be hard to get off when you want it off. Velcro was designed to stay on, even with the force of separating the hooks from the loops. I wouldn't put Velcro on anything if I didn't intend for it to be there forever.

5. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Check out a product called Goo-Be-Gone... works great. Just get some under the velcro and let it soak. Take your time and remove it a bit at a time. It breaks down the glue and is easy on the finish.

6. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

here is the deal...that velcro WILL stick to the rubber feet ENOUGH to keep the pedal on the board...but if you try to remove the pedal the velcro will peel off the rubber feet rather than the OTHER velcro...in the past I would just peel the velcro off and put it back on the pedal but eventually the adhesive would wear down...

so I just peel the rubber feet off the bottom of most pedals, boss, digitech, or pel the tiney rubber feets off the barbers, mxr's, electroharmonix's...

I have NEVER tried to peel the velcro off the back of the pedal...I am assuming with a pair of needle nose pliers it can be done with minimal effort! :)

7. Structo

Structo Member

Another trick is to remove the rubber feet then take some scrap sheet metal and make little ears that you screw into the existing feet holes on the pedal with the screws that held on the rubber feet.
    Then drill a small hole in the ear that sticks out the side and screw that to the pedal board.
    You can paint the ears and screw that show, black so they are not too visible.
    One on the top left and bottom right secure it pretty good.

When removing adhesive left by the velcro tape I use naphtha solvent which is basically zippo lighter fluid.
    I doesn't harm most finishes.
    But a lot of finishes will peel from the aluminum pot metal enclosures used nowadays if the finish is not powder coated.
    So I try to avoid the super sticky velcro tape when possible.

8. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Bicycle chain links have become pretty popular for that purpose.

9. Twanger

Twanger Member

I like using 99% isopropyl alcohol for taking of the glue residue; WD-40 works good too but it smells and it greasier than the isopopyl.

10. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

Never had a problem removing velcro. I just peel carefully...if any adhesive residue sticks to the pedal, I dab the sticky side of the velcro to the glue bits until it picks the rest of the adhesive off the pedal. I've never had any paint come off with it, but all the pedals had a good gloss finish.

11. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Yea, it really depends on the velcro type you use too...some use different adhesives. Look for the industrial strength stuff that uses a sort of tacky glue, it comes off easy. Also, tie wraps solve the velcro issue but often leave scrape marks where they touch the pedal on the top/sides. Kind of defeats the purpose of keeping the pedal in minty condition!

12. valen

valen Member

Are you guys referring to the velcro that comes with the Pedaltrain boards ? I just bought a PT-2 an hour ago and don't think I want to screw into the aluminum frame. Probably Velcro is the only way to go. I may try to experiment with those metal ears discussed above and some tie wraps I guess I could duct tape the tie wraps from underneath to prevent them from sliding around.

The PT people claim their velcro is the stickiest on the market.

13. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

14. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Don't try it with a BJF. It will take it all off the velcro'd area.
    Re-sale will go down at least $50.

15. risinger77

risinger77 Member

Hello mates,
    I have been battling the war of velcro/ pedals/ and retained cosmetics and value until this touring season. I now tour with a custom 20x40 hard top board. Instead of velcroing to the bottom of my pedals, risking damage and defacement, I purchased a plastic sheet called ABS. Its lighter, stronger, cheaper, and easier to work with than plexy glass, aluminum, or other sheet metals.

I removed the backs of all boss, Line6, Eventide, RMC, 808's and anthing that would be damaged or offer poor hold for the velcro. I replace the backs with ABS cutouts and screwed the new backs in just like the origonals.

I use 3M Duel Lock which attaches to the ABS and my hard top.

This is no joke...the Dual Lock by 3M is better than any other material I have ever used. I can pick up my 75lbs board with my love pedal when I use Dual Lock!

16. valen

valen Member

Where do you get sheets of ABS ? The local hardware store or some specialized shop ? Where do you get the 3M Dual Locks ?

17. meterman

meterman Member

I've never worried much about it. Pedals are meant to be used...I use either rubbing alcohol or even just warm water to get glue off, don't think I have ever damaged or defaced a pedal like this, and even so it's on the bottom and chances are the next guy is going to velcro it to his board as well so....

18. jayn

jayn Member

I just use cheap crap from a fabric store. It sticks to my pedalboard which has that black carpet-like stuff on the bottom. If the pedal has any sort of decent/professional finish, the velcro comes off easily :crazy. I've had good luck pulling the better velcro off too. If that didn't work, I'd probably try Goo Gone next.

19. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

A big +1 on that. Who cares if there's a little velcro on the bottom when you buy a pedal. I buy almost all my pedals used and if it comes with velcro, it just saves me the trouble of putting velcro on myself.

20. risinger77

risinger77 Member

Just something to think about...
    Which sound better to a buyer? "Pedal for sale, has paint chips, used and looks like it!" or "Meticulously taken care of, near mint, Works just as good as the day it was made" When I'm buying a $300+ I want to know the guy takes car of his stuff.

However, I totally understand you guys. Velcro on the bottom of a pedal isn't a issue to cry over. I have purchased several pedals with velcro, residue, and peeled paint from adhesive...use gear is used gear.

Since I tour 9 months our of the year, I need strong velcro to hold my gear on the board. We move every week...it's hard on the gear. Regular velcro does not work because the adhesive and locking function is too week. The Dual Lock can be found on ebay. The adhesive needs a flat, hard surface to adhere to...rubber is not good enough. Talk to Rooster from Trailer Trash Pedal Boards if you need further convincing.

My solution is ABS, which can be found at Riedel Plastics. I use 8th inch thick footprints. I cut them to size. I put it on most my pedals. It works as a great buffer to get rid of rubber feet: wahs, full-Drives, Supa Trem, ect. It helps with pedals that have lagre rubber bottoms that don't hold the adhesive well: Line 6, Eventide, Boss, ect. Pedals that attach their bottoms from the side I just attach straight to the board.

To each their own