Can we put the Dumble thing to Bed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzgtrguy, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

I know I am commiting some sort of forum blasphame in saying this but can we put the dumble thing to bed? I know a cottage industry has sprung up around the fabled amp. Personally I have never played one and probably never will. I bet that many of the amps that are supposed to get you into the same tonal zip code are in some ways better or more versatile than a "real" dumble be it a Two Rock or a Fuchs or a Glaswerks, Carol-Ann or what ever. I am probably just as guilty as the next guy but the endless comparisons seem pointless. Just talking out my arss but there you have it.

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

A friend told me about this post.

I'm with you on this one. I dont call The Gear Page by its namesake anymore I call it the Dumble Page.

Between all the Under the Radar Spaming and when thats not going on talking about Dumbles and then when there is a break in the Dumble stuff we talk about Trainwrecks and their clones.

I have pretty much had to give the Dumble Page a rest. They win and I give up.

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

On the other hand, threads like these perpetuate discussion of it. Best to just do a search for similar threads and add another post on the pile, or better yet just read all 36 pages and see if there is anything else that can be said that would necessitate a new thread asking for a stop on new threads (likelihood=slim).

4. hottub

hottub Member

"The Dumble Page"....sounds like a good off-shoot ;)

but man, I'm like the total opposite, I just can't get enough. If someone made the dumble tone in a pill form, I'd take one-a-day.... :)

5. devbro

devbro Member

Maybe a new sub-forum would be in order given the interest in these amps. We need a follow-up thread "Who can nail Tag's tone nailing Ford's tone":jo

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Yeah dude, you may have actually had good intentions for this thread, but it stinks of Troll since you already KNOW how threads like this end up here on TGP.

7. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

No.

It will never die, and newbs will never use the search function before starting another thread that is doomed from the start.

D

8. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I agree, enough about the Dumbles..Everyone knows that no one makes a as great of an amp as the great Alexander and that everyone should stop trying to replicate that...

JUST KIDDING....I think there are wonderful D amps out there and everyone has a right to reinterpet them their own way...I just wish that some people wouldnt take it so personal....I do love reading the threads though....:BEER

9. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

How about we start a thread about whether or not a dumble can sound like a marshall, vox, matchless, tweed, blackface, hiwatt, orange, etc. with the appropriate mods and pedals?
    This is semi-serious, because dumble and dumble style amps are expensive and not necessarily very versatile. So the owner of a D style amp has to find ways to get the other 80% of sounds he might want. This is why I don't own one.
    So, can a Lovepedal Super 6 make a dumble sound like a super reverb?

10. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Why not just skip over the Dumble threads if you're not interested.:D
    Just sayin'.
    I skip over Marshall,Boogie amoung other threads because,I have very little interest in them.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Now that is indeed a new question that hasnt been asked. :AOK

12. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

There's a handful of topics that seem to stir up a bunch of threads/posts. Seems to me that means there is interest to discuss it. This is a discussion board...

13. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I think we should add new forums for Dumble and for John Mayer threads.

John

14. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

start your own forum and moderate it how you please. otherwise, its probably real easy to just not read or comment on things that do not interest you.

15. hardys

hardys Member

There is a lot of Dumble talk on this forum and some of it seems a bit silly and repetitious, but if you don't like the thread's title, don't point and click!

16. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

It's a gear discussion forum and there will be trends and cycles. Might as well get used to it. Can we put the "You guy's big bad threads about something I'm not interested in are bothering me" whining to bed?

17. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I'm not gonna comment at all because it would increase the size of this thread. :crazyguy

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

EXCELLENT!!!! Another Dumble thread!!! Any clips I missed???

:dude

19. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I think it's great to go on discussion boards where people have been are interested in a variety of subjects, find one you're not interested in, and tell folks not to discuss it.

:rolleyes:

Think I'll go over to ferrarichat (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php) and tell them to stop talking about F40's. I am so over them!

Seriously, I have been a member here since the first day. There are things I enjoy discussing, that this is the only place where I can share and learn from extremely experienced and knowledgable people on an arcane subject that most people don't care about.
    It would never occur to me to go to some pointy-guitars-from-the-80's forum and tell the folks that love em to stop talking Charvel & Jackson.

I am quite serious - I think it is extremely negative to try to ruin other folks enjoyment, and is very uncool.

20. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Doesn't my PODxt have a Dumble preset?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.