Can we stop with the goofy stitched handles already?

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I have a pet peeve against those stitched leather handles that all of the boutique brands seem to be using. They look great when new but always come unstitched and started falling apart. The old Fender blackface style plastic handles last forever.

And, you can't set a Fender piggyback style amp with the small feet on top of a cab that has the big handle. Finally, I think it's easier to carry an amp or cab with the plastic handle as there isn't as much play in them.

Am I alone? I don't see why these stitched handles have become the standard as they don't work very well for me.

tenchijin2

Do you mean these?
AC30H2_panel.jpg

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
Also, I shouldn't have called them goofy. They certainly are attractive. My main point I guess was that they're not as functional as a standard Fender blackface style.

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Platinum Supporting Member
I've never liked those handles; they are not very comfortable and they don't wear well. I prefer Fender, Marshall or "dogbone" style handles over those. Fender and Marshall style handles are sturdy, relatively easy on the hands and are pretty flat too in case you need to put anything on top, which can also be an important feature.

tenchijin2

I rarely carry my larger amps by the handles anyway so I suspect I'd never have a problem. However, obviously they're an aesthetic choice more than a functional one.

BlueRiff

Everyone knows you don't gig with those. Silly person!
Doubled over in laughter - nearly shat my pants - thinking about a guy walking into a club toting his combo amp with a....STITCHED LEATHER HANDLE!!! :D Seriously - I had one of these on an Ampeg SJ-12R and it fell apart - also cut into my hand. It was not the padded type - but basically a leather strap mounted on two brackets.

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
Its a booteekie fad to have "saddle" sewn leather handles. I personally don't keep any amp long enough to wear out a handle.. yes I need help.

I have a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini. Has a fancy handle and I gig that bitch every week so don't play that fancy handle isn't for gigging B.S. !!!!!

BlueRiff

Its a booteekie fad to have "saddle" sewn leather handles. I personally don't keep any amp long enough to wear out a handle.. yes I need help.
Talk to Dr. Smoke in Memphis - he's the best GAS or OCTD (Obsessive Compulsive Tone Disorder) therapist out there...even broke E.J.'s obsession with 9v battery brand tone obsession in his effects pedals. :D

chillybilly

They may wear out but they can be replaced cheaply.

Those plastic arched Vox handles, on the other hand, have mangled more than a few fingers and hands due to their stiffness. Of course, the 75 lb combo amp they are attached to might have something to do with it....

Deluzion

yeah the OP pciture handles dont even feel premium either imo. Its like a cheap belt. canvas inside and a flimy thin leather wrapped around the canvas or rubber or whatever is on the inside. Now a rough true leather is another matter. i like those like an old original fender tweed type

bob-i

I had an original 59 fender Bassman in the 60 and 70s. Around 77 a roadie decided to carry it down an outside staircase by holding it over the side by that leather handle. It fell 2 stories down to its death. We picked it up only so we wouldn't be fined for littering.

Terrible handles.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom