Can we talk about VFE pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by OverdriveLover, Apr 1, 2015.

1. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

I don't know much about their pedals.

I am looking at the Supreaux Deux, the Triumvirate, and I heard the Tractor beam was a nice phaser.

Any experience? Search comes up flat...

2. beneharris

beneharris Member

I'm surprised they aren't any more popular. I have 2 of their pedals, and they are awesome. One of the best pedal companies out there right now, IMO.

3. OverdriveLover

which ones do you have?

4. beneharris

beneharris Member

Doh, meant to post that.

I've got the Ice Scream and the Vomit Hound.

5. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Great pedals and quality made. I have a Blues King that I use as my main overdrive.

6. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I have the distortion 3, very cool pedal... want the vomit hound and the merman

7. AkrW

AkrW Member

I have a choral reef and its amazing. Well built and well thought of

8. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

Personally, I really like what they're doing - seems like the fella Peter who runs the show makes smart tweaks, adds useful features, and wants to be in-touch and responsive to his customer base.

I've played a few and liked them all, but the only one I owned was a v2 Blues King. I liked it a lot better than any other BB style overdrives I've tried (have not had the opportunity to play a PoT/KoT, however), but there is something about the BB's, I don't know, "scratchy" drive sound that I've now finally given up on bonding with, so I sold it. Not VFE's fault, if anything they made the circuit more appealing with the bass cut control etc, it just didn't trip my trigger.

Build quality is solid as any, and newer pedals include neat features lots of other builders don't, like the option to use momentary bypass. And I think the prices are reasonable, really. The stripped-down junior series are some simple but really nice effects, hand-made in the USA, for around $100 or even less if yr sharp. JMO YMMV.

9. jazzguitarfan

jazzguitarfan Member

I have an Alpha Dog (v1) and Enterprise Phaser. They are cool. There is almost too much to tweak for my needs, but they sound really good and AD can do vintage RAT and so much more. I have spent time with the Blues King and was very impressed. He makes quality stuff and seems like a really decent guy. He occasionally posts herein and is very forthcoming with information about his pedals and designs. VFE is definitely worth checking out.

10. OverdriveLover

i could spend ALL DAY on the custom page. In fact I have built a number of pedals myself and its awesome they have an option to build it for you assuming you use the available omponents they have listed

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Total VFE wh*re here. I usually pounce on his close outs and special offers.

Bought one of his rocket EQ years ago and everything I've gotten since then has been top notch.

Cream of crop of his that I own are Pale Horse, White Horse, Rocket EQ and Triumvirate.Boost. Here's my custom paint Rocket and TriBoost. His custom paint machine is awesome, I work in printing and graphics so fixing up a photoshop file was a labor of love, came out great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also have BK Burn, fiery red horse, triumvirate, mini mu and enterprise phaser. Almost all got on sale or used. I own 11 VFE. Only reason I don't own a chorus and delay is I'm a total stereo junky when it comes to those effects.

blue62 likes this.
  12. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

VFE makes quality stuff. I don't know if I've ever heard someone say a bad thing about 'em on here. Peter is a great guy.

13. jpervin

jpervin Member

I've got a Blueprint Jr. that does a great job of emulating an analog delay.
    FWIW, it's on the emporium as my needs (wants?) have changed.

14. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

I sold a certain JHS pedal as I could not tell a difference between it and the VFE pedal I have...

15. OverdriveLover

DaveKS - I believe i heard of them from your post in my fuzz thread.

I have no shame in admitting that I care how my pedal board looks. With so many choices in pedals now, it enables the chanceto get one to sound a lot like another, so the little things like size, appearance and price can be added to the equation when choosing certain effects. I believe this is what makes VFE so attractive, I just haven't tried one yet.

16. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Morning Glory and Blues King?

17. OverdriveLover

my guess would be superbolt / supreaux deux which is where I'm at...

18. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I have let's see..
    Firey Red Horse
    Dark Horse
    Pale Horse
    White Horse
    Bumblebee

Safe to say I like them. Solid build. Great sounds.

But the above is the one reason that you might NOT like them. The extremes of the knobs can get a bit crazy. As some of them are variations on classic pedals they have:
    extra knobs the originals didn't have and
    several have ranges of the knobs the originals had that go farther, for example, on the pale horse, clean than a classic tube screamer and more dirty.

19. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

20. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

How is the Supreaux Deux? I was going to buy this but got a great deal on a Superbolt and VFE was delayed on releasing the SD.

The pedals are well-regarded for their build quality, tweakability, customer service, and to many ears - tone.