Can we talk about weed whippers here?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, May 5, 2015.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    :confused:

My Stihl FS44 just won't start any more. The spark is as hot as a nuclear blast but even spraying starting fluid into the carb won't get it to even hic up. :waiting It's hard to believe it won't fire. I took the plug out to check the spark and had a flash fire going in my face for a second from the gas blowing out the plug hole. :mad: I'm tired of messing with it and going to buy a new one. :red

So it's basically Stihl vs Honda. I'm looking in the $300 price range. There is a nice Stihl FS70 pro trimmer for like $270, but the Hondas are $325 for the same grade, but you don't have to mix oil and gas.

I'm looking for the TGP weed whipper experts here to chime in and decide for me what to buy.

Thanks in advance.

2. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

3. mango

mango Member

My first Echo trimmer lasted 20+ years(and can probably run again)

My new one hopefully lasts that long too .

Under $200

My guy suggested against 4 stroke trimmers .

oh wait,you said experts......carry on

4. Layne-o

Layne-o Silver Supporting Member

While not as long as mango, I'm 4-1/2 years into ownership of my Echo and love it. Well beneath your budget as well...

5. drewl

drewl Member

The little fuel lines usually melt or develop cracks or splits.

Replace and it should be fine.

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Goat. Definitely a goat.

7. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

I use weed trimmers a lot on my 30 acres. I and most landscapers believe in Stihl over the others and had a FS120 last me over 22 years of hard use and it has almost the same symptoms. I just stepped up and bought a new FS240 and paid damn near $600 but worth every penny. I went that way because I didn't want the 4 stroke which experienced people have said I wouldn't be happy with.

Make sure there is no crack in the bulb, fuel line, return line etc. Also make sure the switch and coil are working but you said you have good spark. If you have gas, compression and spark you should have combustion.

8. HoboBilly

HoboBilly Member

Honda. 4-stroke goodness.

9. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

I gave up on gas powered weed whackers and bought a battery powered one a few years ago. It works just fine and a full charge gets the job done. Nice to not worry about keeping gas, wondering why it won't start, etc.

10. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Replace fuel filter and fuel line, air purge on carb (the bubble), take the muffler off the head
    and pull start. The exhaust port on mine was full of carbon (sounds badass with out a muffler, but please re-install). Should be no more than 20 minutes and $8.00.

11. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Same here. And a battery powered lawnmower too. A Stihl.

But I have a small yard.

12. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Oh and I forgot to mention a couple of years ago my FS120 exhaust port was full of carbon too and it stopped running as you described. Had spark/fuel, it may just be the spark arrestor screen if that needs cleaned. My muffler got real clogged and at the same time when cleaning I drilled it out to add more flow, a bit louder but ran like a bat out of hell.

13. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have a small yard, bought an electric 8 years ago and it's done the job for me good enough.

14. CoKid

CoKid Member

My Stilh trimmer worked like a champ for several years. Started with one or two pulls every time. Last summer it started running rough and would stall occasionally. I thought it might be bad fuel or maybe the spark plug was fouled.
    Turned out that there is a screen on the exhaust port that was clogged up. According to a Youtube video I watched this screen is there to prevent a sparks which could lead to a fire. I took mine off and tried to clean it as best I could but could not get it completely clean. Without the screen it ran perfectly. Did the same with my Stihl blower and it's now running a lot smoother. I'll see if I can get the screens perfectly clean before I need to use either one again. Otherwise, I'll just replace them.

Funny thing is I was so frustrated with the trimmer that I was literally walking out the door to drop it off at the rear shop then it occurred to me that I should check YouTube. The first video I watched described my problem exactly.

15. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. deluxeman

deluxeman Member

Shindaiwa trimmers are spectacular.

17. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

Screen was plugged in my Stihl also. Took it out and ran like a champ.

18. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Cool, I'll check that screen out. It was running kind of doggish last year come to think of it :huh

Thanks.

19. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

My cheap trimmer lasted years and worked great. Fast forward to a couple years ago, I bought and returned 2 that just wouldn't run consistently. Now I have one that runs for a while and shuts down it's nearly identical and same brand as my good original one.. Frustrating as hell., I guess they decided to "make it better"....

20. muzishun

muzishun Member

Just get it fixed. Hate having to toss things myself.