Can you be mids tone deaf?

Deluzion

Im seriously starting to think im tonedeaf in the midrange region in a guitar amps spectrum.

I cant for the life of me judge if a pedal has scooped flat or boosted mids and i cant hear different speakers diffrence in that tone range either. Treble spiky round muted etc i can hear. Bass tight, loose, amount of bass, no problem.

But i realised i simply cant judge mids EQ and amount at all, so when people start to talk about hearing upper and lower mids im even more puzzeled.

Im not a metal type player but this the only comparison example i could find.

I can hardly tell the difference in this clip and i wouldnt be able to tell for sure which is scooped and which is boosted mids my guess would be the last part is boosted mids and first scooped but..
How do i learn mids and what is upper mid guitar and lower mid or is it a illness like "mids tone deficieny" perhaps? :)

StratoCraig

I agree with @Braciola -- you just need to do some comparisons to get the idea. If you have an EQ pedal or your amp has more than just bass and treble controls, you can easily try out different combinations and see what they sound like.

Deluzion

Well yeah i can hear the difference. but i cant tell if the player has alot of mids or not just by listening to a song. I cant swap a speaker and say ok this one honks more but at the same time i think it feels abit more scooped.

Is it correct that say that midrange is alot of thing? Honk? Thick midness, muddy mids?

To me alot of mids sound thicker creamier and less difinition in the overall tone? many different confusing types of mid frequencyes and tonalities perhaps?

An example who has more mids, Bryan Adams guitar player or Sheryl Crows?

twoheadedboy

How do i learn mids and what is upper mid guitar and lower mid

Spend some time playing with a graphic EQ and an audio spectrum analyzer. VLC and other free audio players have these built in or available as plugins. Play different sources, including raw guitar sounds and full mixes. Look at the frequency curve on the spectrum analyzer. Then boost and cut different frequencies drastically, listen to the results, and look at how that affects the shape of the frequency curve. If you do this consistently, you should get better at judging the frequency curve of a given source. For reference, in an electric guitar sound, the low end is around 100-300 Hz, the lower mids are around 300-500 Hz, the upper mids are around 800-2000 Hz, and the high end is above 2000 Hz.

Last edited:

jkendrick

Well I don't have trouble recognizing scooped mids, but I have congenital hearing loss where I hear high and low frequencies better than average and midrange frequencies far worse than average. Do you have an inordinate amount of trouble hearing voices in, say, a noisy restaurant? If so, you may want to visit an audiologist. The hearing loss is called, colloquially, cookie bite hearing loss. Though I like to say I have naturally scooped mids.

http://m.hear-it.org/Cookie-bite-hearing-loss-1

swiveltung

Well yeah i can hear the difference. but i cant tell if the player has alot of mids or not just by listening to a song. I cant swap a speaker and say ok this one honks more but at the same time i think it feels abit more scooped.

Is it correct that say that midrange is alot of thing? Honk? Thick midness, muddy mids?

To me alot of mids sound thicker creamier and less difinition in the overall tone? many different confusing types of mid frequencyes and tonalities perhaps?

An example who has more mids, Bryan Adams guitar player or Sheryl Crows?

I say Cheryl Crow, but neither of these seem real mid heavy to me.
This would be mid heavy (once it gets cookin)

It's not that difficult. When you listen, are you being haunted? If not, the mids are fairly scooped. If you get all Scooby Doo and the tone goes all "I would have got away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids," then the mids are emphasized.

Deluzion

Well I don't have trouble recognizing scooped mids, but I have congenital hearing loss where I hear high and low frequencies better than average and midrange frequencies far worse than average. Do you have an inordinate amount of trouble hearing voices in, say, a noisy restaurant? If so, you may want to visit an audiologist. The hearing loss is called, colloquially, cookie bite hearing loss. Though I like to say I have naturally scooped mids.

http://m.hear-it.org/Cookie-bite-hearing-loss-1
Thanks interesting , i didnt know there was a mid frequency hearing loss like that. Maybe it is something i should get tested next time the daugter is at the getting hear hearing checked :)
I really feel the original Metal test clip i posted isnt that much difference escpecially not night and day as some say.
Its a metal tone in both the 1st one just roars and grows more in the low end to me where the other seems more flat and neutral with less distinct tone

Would most guitarist be able to tell the difference in tone between a scooped and boosted for lead exclusively for single note stuff also? Running high on he neck on my PAF equipped SG doenst sound more midrange to me than single note leads on a Strat.
Most people say a SG have more midrange bite. I can hear it sounds slightly different than a LP tonally, but i cant pinpoint it as a more midrangy guitar, infact i think a neck pickup and past 12th fret sounds scooped.

Deluzion

whats a good example of a heavily scooped overdriven or distorted classic or hard rock song? (no metal allowed)

And in the other spectrum would the mids be heavily bosted this: QOTSA - "If only" ?

JamonGrande

A cello player I worked with actually has a really difficulty hearing things in the midrange to the point where she often has a hard time being able to identify pitches in isolation. She intonates by listening for and adjusting beating patterns between tones on her instrument or with other instruments (sort of similar to Evelyn Glennie's ability to perform by feeling because she's deaf). She's a successful performer in LA now; I would guess most people have no idea that she doesn't hear things in the same way.

joe

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Platinum Supporting Member
I've never personally listened to any of their music, but I would guess that Ghost are experts at haunting mids.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Trending Topics

Top Bottom