Can you categorize tele bridge pickups, ie spank, twang, woody etc?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dnauhei, Jan 26, 2012.

1. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

Do tele bridge pickpups fit into different categories, ie spank, twang, woody, jangle etc? If so what are the categories and what are some classic examples for each sound?

I am trying to choose a bridge pickup for my partscaster.I currently have a nocaster 51 custom shop, which sounds great, but it has too much bass, not enough midrange. The bass does not growl and the high end does not jangle. (sounds like a song idea, have to jot that one down)

2. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

Bueller? Bueller?

3. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use the Kinman Broadcaster set, it does Don Rich,Brad Paisley,Keef, and the Boss, I think that about covers it!! I wired them up in a ash/rosewood Bender Froadcaster with all Callaham hardware and electronics. It kill's and I built it, doesn't get any better than that. Have fun with your build!!!

4. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Maybe you want a more P90-ish bridge pickup. Nocaster/Broadcaster is more scooped sounding, imo.

5. sabby

sabby Member

Honestly, I'm thinking that all those are available with a 6-7k-ish Tele bridge pickup and a .1uf cap on the tone knob. Change the tone knob settings and change the demeanor of the guitar. It's the magic of a Tele.

6. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

This is why I love my ASAT so much. That MFD bridge PUP is a total chameleon. Fully cranked its got the meat of a p-90 or even a humbucker & the clarity of a single coil. Start turning down your volume knob, change your pick attack a little and it's rockin twang city. Turn it down a little more and you've got sparkly chimey cleans that are just beautiful.

7. jcat5503

jcat5503 Member

Have a look at the Rumpelstitlskin pups. I've got a set in my tele and the bridge just kills. Mines around 11k and has a nice, rich midrange

8. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

Thanks for the recommendations, but what about my actual question--are there different categories of tele bridge pickups? What are the categories?

9. lareplus

lareplus Member

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Keep your pickup, try some steel saddles.

11. telepunk

telepunk Member

To answer your question:

There are certainly pickups that you could describe using the words you listed. But, there are so many different pickups made by different builders that it would be hard to categorize them. I mean, one pickup builder can have 7 different designs for telecaster pickups and then have different winds for each style as well.

Also, there are many other factors that will affect your tone too. Not every pickups will sound the same with a different wood, electronics, hardware, etc.

That being said, generally builders offer a vintage style and then "hotter" versions that will be progressively louder and darker (they have higher winds). They also will have versions with different magnets and wire, and they usually do a good job of explaining the sound.

Check out Lollar's website.

12. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

13. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, this is tough to call because so much depends on the guitar itself and your rig. But, with those criteria, more mids and not to bassy with still some jangle is the Fralin Blues Special.
    For a bit more power, the Don Mare 0038.

14. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

These...

Fralin Blues Specials

I just built a project Tele '52 reissue and put a set of these in it...now my favorite guitar...go figure!!