Can you change the reverb circuit in an amp? (PTP)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by orogeny, Oct 6, 2008.

1. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

For example. . . .

I've been loving the hell out my Alessandro Rottweiler. Totally the top of all of my 'needs' categories. The most MOST important things were/are a gorgeous clean tone in a lightweight amp. . .. . .

The ONLY downside is the reverb. It is very good for what it does. Very good. In fact, if you're someone who doesn't like reverb most of the time, you'd probably love it.

I'm a fender verb guy. I've come to a very clear understanding on this with myself. When I run in stereo with the Blues Junior, I run the BJ verb. Just what I need. Tremendous little amp, for the record. In fact, I often think about putting the entire amp inside of one of george's cabinets (how the f*ck does he make 'em so LIGHT!!!?).

Anyway, I contacted george, and he said something LIKE "the way i designed that circuit, it can't be made to be 'wetter', like a fender verb". i let it go at that . . .

A month or two ago I bumped into Paul Plumeri, fairly big-time blues guy around here and in the region.

I say "hey, you play tons of george's stuff!!!" and tell him my story.

he says, "yeah! george was my roadie?/amp tech for a good spot. great guy. i've talked to him about that reverb" and then sort of indicated that george was (maybe?) stubborn about it. . . and then said, "just get a holy grail, man. . . "

and after talking about diamonds and jewelry (we ran into each other in a great little jewelry joint.. . . anyone want a flawless diamond by the way??? about .44 carats!!!! excellent color (E!!!) with a gorgeous setting. . . .

ANYWAY, I digress . . . . .

after . . . what. . . years? of reading threads about how folks chase certain circuits (usually for drive), i've always wondered if . . . DUH. . . couldn't someone ELSE change the circuit? i know andy and scott are in my hood, but i don't want to really reach out unless i know what's really involved.. .. like. .. how much could such a thing cost? i COULD just get a darn pedal.. . . but i'm not thrilled with them. . . plus, the 'big' board is basically full unless i start making changes, likely resulting in putting things on the floor. DON'T want to do that. i'd really like it all in the amp.

ya foller?

2. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Don't know what circuits George uses but I am betting two resistors and maybe a pot change and you can have swamp fever all day long. The insides are clean and easy to work on. I would bet most any competent tech could put you straight for less than an hours labor.

3. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Give Jimmy Somma a call. He can probably mod it for you.

:)

Bob

4. orogeny

is jimmy in NJ?
    edit: damn. . . google is so freakin' simple. . .

5. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

6. orogeny

i just wanted to say thanks. jimmy is an excellent dude. i went there today. plays like a mofo. i asked to hear some of his stuff. i will post something in the next day or two about it. i was pretty wiped when i got there, but his hands did some serious justice to his amps. like i said, i was WIPED out. . . but when i plugged a strat into his roaring 20 and strummed a FEW chords. . . it was RIGHT where i want to be. . .

i'm SURE he can turn my amp into what i want it to be. . . .

i never thought a pair of el84s could sound like angus. . . but the slick 18 can get your right there. meanwhile, country and blues cats would freak over it with the volume only at noon. . .

the roaring 20 was something else . . . . this 'kid' is onto something. . . .
    stellar cleans.

i'm so f8cking tired. . . but i haven't been this 'hyped' about MY amp . .. .since ?????????? . . . and i already love the thing. . .

thanks again for the recommendation. . .