Can you check the quality of your (patch)cables by yourself??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sahertian, May 18, 2011.

1. sahertian

sahertian Member

with a Multi-meter or Ohm meter?

2. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

You can measure capacitance [more capacitance=darker sound] (if your meter will measure that), and whether there's continuity between the tip and the tip, and the sleeve and the sleeve, and whether tip is shorted to sleeve, with a multimeter. As to which ones are noisier, or clearer sounding, a multimeter won't tell you that.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Indeed. Measuring for resistance tip-to-tip and sleeve-to-sleeve (keep your hands off the plugs, to not skew the results) is a good way to tell if they are good or not. You should see 0 ohms resistance with both measurements. Then measure tip-to-sleeve on one of the plugs (again, without touching the plug) - you should see infinite resistance if the cable is good. That will tell you if the cable works or not, which is as far as you can tell with a multimeter.

I've never tried measuring for capacitance, but I suppose that could be done as well (I don't know if you'd have to measure the tip in one end, and the sleeve in the other, though). But I don't know what you'd learn from that (its effects are probably more easily detected by ear anyway). And as has already been noted, there's no way to use a multimeter to measure the more intangible aspects of cables - what sounds good/clear/muffled/barking midrange etc...

But learning to use a multimeter to quickly test cables for continuity and hunt out partial shorts is a really good skill to have - every guitarist should have a multimeter :)

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Beyond testing for electrical integrity (continuity or resistance testing) I think you have to use your ears...