1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can you do this with a speaker cab?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by inscho, Jan 20, 2006.

1. inscho

inscho Senior Member

So I recently purchased a 67 fender bandmaster head and I am planning on building a speaker cab for it. Now I have a few questions that haven't been answered from my research so far.

I thought about building a cab with a 10" and 12" speaker isolated from each other but in the same cabinet, will a 10" work ok in the same cubic ft as the 12"? Are there any other difficulties I would be facing doing this?

Also is there a certain input/switch I can use to go from using both the 12" and 10" to using just the 12" alone or the 10" alone?

And would it just be better to go with a standard 2x12? I wanted to build something thats a little more interesting with some flavor.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

I used to use a bass cabinet like that with a 12" JBL and a 15" EVM. The EVM was posted, the JBL was not. Made for nice bright bass tone with plenty of tight bottom end.

There should be no problem with using a rotary switch, similar to those used for impedance selectors. You'll have to research the switch because you'll need 3 positions, ckt1 on, ckt2 on, ckt1+2 on.

Sounds interesting

3. baald

baald Member

closed back or open back? i'm assuming closed if you're talking about cubic feet....

there's no reason mixing a 10 and 12 should be any different than mixing two differnt 12's in the same cab. I wouldn't neccesarilly worry about individual chambers. Unless you were to do something like have the 12 selaed and the 10 open back or something.

4. inscho

inscho Senior Member

I just assumed that they would sound better individually if they were isolated.

One side being open, one side closed.....how would that sound together?

5. inscho

inscho Senior Member

where can I find one of these impedance selectors?

6. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

You can wire them so that you can run in mono w/ both speakers, or stereo and choose which speaker to use, or use each speaker with a different amp.
    For instance, I have a 2x12 cab w/ 2 Eminence tonespotters in it. They are both 8 ohm, I wired it so that I can run both speakers in mono at 4 ohms, or each speaker individually at 8 ohms. Here's a website that gives good tutorial on how to do that. You just need a soldering iron and a good DPDT switch...make sure you get one that is heavy duty. The last thing you want is that switch to go bad, then your Output transformer would have an open load on it....we all know what happens then!
    http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html
    Hope this helps..

7. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Here's a pic of my jackplate when I was done....definitely not OEM quality, but hey...it'll remind me how the damn thing works after a few beers! :) Good luck..
    [​IMG]

8. inscho

inscho Senior Member

its safe to run my bandmaster (4ohm) into a single 8ohm right? its just works the tubes more right?

That is exactly what I needed to know zach thanks!

9. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

Glad I could help!

as for the impedance mismatch....
    this is an age old debate, but I think the general consensus is a 4 ohm disparity either way is usually "safe" in that, it wont blow anything up...but, as you said, it will cause premature wear on the tubes, and ALSO, the transformer will heat up more.....

I've seen one thread on a different board where this guy gets very specific about different transformers, in different types of amps, from different years, and explains how each of them have different tolerances, and how some will allow the mismatch with no problems, and how others will fry quicker than you can wink. If I remember from that thread, he indicated older Fenders are of the more tolerant variety of OT's, so anyway....just a little info FWIW...