Can you drop P90s into a humbucker route?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I've never really thought about it, but if it can be done, I'd consider putting some nice P90s in my PRS.
    I'm thinking the hum route is too big though....

Thanks.

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

3. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

not without dremel'ing out some of the wood. a p-90 is longer than a humbucker, but not as wide, so a (small) gap will show at the front &/or back of the pup. spacers will clear up that problem, tho.

4. ddeand

ddeand Silver Supporting Member

I had a set of Vintage Vibe humbucker-size P-90s that Pete Biltoft wound that were excellent. They were the smoothest, most toneful P-90s I've ever had. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Check them out at this link:

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/

Dean

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

HB sized P-90's are about the only way to go without routing out that guitar. The good news is that you have options :)

Harmonic Design Z-90's
    Fralin P-92's
    Gibson P-94's
    There are a few others as well. There's one called a Fat Cat, and I think that Rio Grande does one too.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the VV pickups. I have some in my Bolin guitar and they sound great.

FWIW, Depending on how the cavity is cut, it's possible to modify (ie trim) the p-90 to fit, but I'm not suggesting you try.

7. enharmonic

Do you have one of those Bolin customs that look sort of like a LP that's had too many Twinkies? I am intrigued by that instrument...can't tell how big the body is from the pics, but it looks uber cool!

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

This picture really makes it look bloated. It's actually roughly the same size as a LP.

[​IMG]

Edited for current picture

9. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

LOL...here we go again...
    I had already a P90 in HB format in the neck position of my Huber (korina semihollow body, neck, ebony fretboard, redwood top).
    Then I decided that I wanted to push the twang-envelope a bit and I installed another P90 HB in the bridge position. Whoa! It was a pleasant surprise, and actually sounded good despite the fact that I had left the 500k pots (coupled w/ korina for some it could be a tad too bright, but I liked it's "acoustic" effect).

Today the last chapter of the transformation... I used the push-push selector that once would have split the bridg humbucker, to achieve series-parallel switching.

Now I can go from P90 grind / twang to full power HB in any position by operating the push-push control. Since the p.ups (Haeussel) have a DC resistance in the region of 8.25k appx. I do get a very muscular, yet dynamic, HB tone.

Since the mid position is noiseless - being that one of the 2 p.ups is RWRP - I can also use the guitar with plenty of distortion. The regular mid position (parallel) is lower in output and more transparent, perfect for arpeggiated intros à la Hells Bells, while the series position delivers a much heavier tone.

Moreover the 500k pots allow me to get the extra top end / sizzle when needed (which otherwise would be lost with the more trditional 250k pots).

Bottom line is that I really don't see any reason why you shouldn't try dropping some P90HBs in your fonky Bolin.
    Go for it and let us know just *how* happy you are once it's done :D :)

JJ

10. enharmonic

I really love the looks of that guitar!. I must investigate further.

11. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Another vote for Pete Biltoft at V V G

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

+1 for Harmonic Design Z-90's. Turned my buddy's Gibson SG into a real screamer.

jb

13. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

That's some good info guys, thanks for all of the help. I'm not real happy with the PUs in my CE-24 and I'm not really sure which route I would take to replace them. Part of me says to just put in a nice set of HBs that are akin to my taste/style (like I even know what that is anymore) and then I can buy another axe fitted with P90s. Then there's the choice of 2 or 3 P90s that I have to contend with.

I have a good friend of mine that repairs/builds guitars that offered to cut a blank pick guard to fit two Gibson P90s that he has laying around and set it in a really clean Mexican Strat that he has. He told me that he would sell it for a really killer price. Funny thing is, that strat plays almost as good as any American Strat that I've played. He's got it dialed in quite nicely.
    Then I have another buddy that's looking to get rid of a mint Axis Sport w/P90s, but I'm not certain what he's asking. I like Ernie Ball though.

Lots of choices, for sure.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I had the same question. Wanting to try P90s in an old 335, and wanting specifically to try Jason Lollar's p/us. He told me his won't fit. He doesn't make them in a smaller size, as he doesn't feel they sound the same. I am aware that other makers put out a HB size P90. So far, the ones I heard have not impressed me. (Unfortunately, I don't know which brands I heard!)

15. mainsale

mainsale Member

Lindy Fralin P-92's are what you need!

16. MOJO

MOJO Member

17. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

That guitar kinda has a shape reminiscent of an L5-S.

18. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

I'm thinking about doing the same thing myself with the Fralin P-92s into a Joe Pass Epiphone. However, with the Fralin's they ask you to specify the wind count. Can anyone suggest wind counts for this type of guitar (hollow body).

19. jennis

jennis Member

I've been lurking, but this is a topic near to my heart, as I can't seem to settle with neck humbuckers. I have tried the Gibson P94, the HD Z90s and the Duncan Phat Cats. The P94 did the trick but was a bit dark for my taste. The Z90s were hot and hifi (though there may be hotter true p90s out there) and were a great improvement in the japanese 335 copy I put them in. I sold the guitar to the other guitar player in my band, regretfully with the Z90s...he has great clean funk and rock tone with that guitar. I was then inspired to put Duncan Phat Cats in my old Ibanez 335...perfect! Perhaps a bit sweeter than a real P90, but sparkly 3D good for everything from rockabilly to blues to funk to rock. I just bought another set :) ! I think all three are an improvement over humbuckers for most uses except perhaps the classic LP/Marshall classic rock tone. Good hunting, James.

20. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

PM sent.

Best,

JJ