Can You Get Your Carr Rambler To Do Classic Rock Well?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ken, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I like the Rambler. It has a very nice clean in a light grab and go package. But there is one thing that still to this day that has bothered me a bit and that is the overdrive sounds I get with pedals into the Rambler.

I also have a Bogner Shiva and the overdrive I get with pedals into the clean channel on the Shiva is so much better. When I go back to the Rambler, I just find the overdrive tone lacking.

I am using a TIM & ProAnalog Dual Drive for my overdrives into both amps.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to another Overdrive pedal to try with the Rambler? I’m not into the Tube Screamer type of pedal.

Maybe I'm just more of an EL34 kinda guy :confused:

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

One word, Ken.

Klon Centaur

Oh...I guess that's two words. Try it, you'll like it!

:D

S.
    j

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

The new Barber Direct Drive does the classic rock thing in spades, and works incredible well with the Rambler. It feels really nice under your fingers as well. I love the TIM for OD, but in higher gain situations required for some classic rock stuff, I find it's a bit dark with the Rambler. That said, I think the TIM is the best for bluesy low gain stuff!

4. Ken

Ken Member

Steve, do you still have a Klon? And if so, how does it work with your Shiva?

Thanks

5. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I use a BB pre-amp with mine. Great classic rock tones. I replaced the stock speaker with an Eminence Swamp Thing. No loose low end for me.

6. Ken

Ken Member

Thnaks guys for the feedback...Seems like there are several ways to go depending on taste! Wish there was a way to bring in some of these pedals to play with and then return the ones that would not fit my ears! Although I have had the Klon on my wish list for some time to order and give a try...

7. TNJ

A 112 Rambler and a Klon is a match made in heaven. Eddie Berman turned me onto it...and when he talks about tone, I usually listen. :D He told me that the Rambler was one of those amps that, when pushed by the Klon, turned into a bit of "Marshall on the verge of explosion". If that's your cup of tea, I suggest you try one out. I know they are lot of $$$, but the Klon is worth it for many reasons, not least of which is you can always get your $$$ back.
    I'm not sure what the issue was with the 212, but the 112's I've owned (2), both worked great with the Klon.
    And yes, Ken, I still have it. Havent used it (or any OD pedal) with the Shiva I now own. I could check it out and get back to you.
    S>
    j

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

I installed a Weber 12F150A speaker along with a Mulder X-Cable, and it cured the flub associated with the Kingpin for me as well. This setup along with my tube upgrade put this great amp right over the top.

That said, if you are looking to do the chug stuff, this is the wrong amp, regardless of the mods/pedals you use. For sweet cleans, blues, and classic rock, I think it's perfect.

9. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I had a Rambler for a short time, great sounding Fenderesque amp, beautiful cleans. But, I could not get a good CR sound out of this amp, tried all sorts of pedals but the amp wouldn't drink! Bottom end too flappy for a guturral output. Ended up with a TopHat Club Royale deep cab with a tube Rectifier, sounds great right out of the box!

Joe

10. Ken

Ken Member

Steve, Yes when you have a few minutes...Please let me know how the Klon goes with the Shiva...

Thanks

11. TNJ

Well,
    Tonite will be the night. I'm picking up a 212 Bogner Cab after work, and will be checking it out with my Shiva EL34 head. I'll get the Klon out as well.
    S>
    j

12. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Supporting Member

Guess it depends on what your idea of good "classic rock" tone actually is, but I have my 1x12 Rambler set up Reflektor Tung-Sols in the pre, TAD's for the big bottles and a Cannabis Rex. With a both a Clapton strat and an Anderson tele running through a Full-Drive, comp-cut on (first knob pulled up), green channel only, volume and drive controls both set at between 10-11 o'clock, pentode mode, volume on 7 --->> I get a better Mike Campbell tone than Mike Campbell......

13. TNJ

I totally agree that "Classic Rock" tone is fairly subjective.
    Also, gain and volume issues would have to be standardized, as well as type of guitar pickup...to really be fair about this.
    I never had use for a 212 Rambler, as I played really small clubs with no P.A. for instruments. So, I never pushed the speaker hard enough to get any flub. The marshally tones I was reaching for were strictly lower volume, but the quality/sustain/etc. was right there with my 112 Rambler/Klon/Baker RF(bridge humbucker for solo's) rig.
    S.
    j

14. Ken

Ken Member

Steve is that the big Bogner 2x12 cab? Thats the one I have with a big open back configuration...Bogner sells the open back panel in a two piece...I just use the smaller section where the speaker jack connects...

Thought I remember you asking about open back cabs awhile back

15. TNJ

It's the Shiva 212 open back, methinks Ken.
    I got it from Frankenstrat2 here at the GP.
    One V30, one G12H75.
    S>
    j

16. Blueser

Blueser Member

Just goes to show how subjective this stuff is. I had the new tube rectified CR with the deep cab, and while I thought it was a great classic rock tone plugged straight in, I though it was terrible with pedals, unless the fat boost was off, and it still required some significant tweaking of the amps EQ.

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I have a Rambler. I just bought a HAO Rust Driver pedal to use with it. The tone exceeded my expectations by quite a bit. Classic Rock city. Also great for sort-of mashally sounding blues solos. Only problem with that pedal is that it needs to first in the chain.

With the Rust Driver on, I sometimes also turn on my Fulldrive in Compcut mode. That's a really nice tone.