Can you haggle used gear at GC

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisjnyc, Dec 2, 2019.

1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Spotted a guitar at GC in Tucson that I am interested in... only I am 1000 miles away. I dont have high hopes to call and speak to anyone who would wheel and deal over the phone.

fender753 likes this.
  2. Ejphotos

Ejphotos Supporting Member

That would be the only way to find out though

gerg6, milli vanilli, mrfett and 6 others like this.
  3. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

In a straight cash buy... probably not... unless it had been sitting there for a long time and they were about to discount it anyway.

sometimes I have been able to get them to pump my trade in value just a touch and throw in various extras if it was a big multi-piece trade deal.

you’re more likely to get a deal on new stuff at GC than used stuff.

mrfett, shupe13 and robbierobnj like this.
  4. pyna

pyna Member

I haven't had much luck - been told that after 30 days of not selling the manager has some discretion, but hasn't ever really worked for me. Usually've been able to get them to throw in a set of strings or two or something, that's about it.

HoboMan likes this.
  5. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I originally read this as "I am only 1000 miles away".

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  6. FennRx

FennRx Member

7. G.August

G.August Supporting Member

You can always haggle on gear. New or used and you should. All you have to lose is someone saying no.

8. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Yes...they have a little wiggle room, depending on the deal. As others have said a lot of it depends on how long they've had it. I get a daily email of new pieces they buy and the list is staggering. What I've found a few times is to double check everything they tell you. I was purchasing a 68 Tele from there they said it was all original. I told them I'd take it and we found the original pickup in the original case. 8/ On top of it, they then wouldn't budge on price so I passed.

9. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

I call the store while looking at the ad & ask for guitar sales. Usually they'll go get it & give you details on the phone. I've had them text me additional pics.
    Got a free case when I bought my '17 white SG Ltd gold hdwe for $1000 from Florida. Used a CC over the phone, had it shipped to store, no problem.

fretless likes this.
  10. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

You could have called the store and threw them an offer in the time it took you to post this.

mrfett, uab9253, TravisE and 4 others like this.
  11. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

Lately GC has been all over the place for me. I live close to 3 so jump around looking for used gear and discounts on new stuff. One employee says firm, another one same store haggles. On new stuff some stores give me 15% some don’t. Again could be same store different day. It’s really hit or miss.

Recently got a used Jcm900 for 700$ out the door with tag price 799$. tried to buy something else and they were firm, even on a price that was crazy high. If you trade in you get 15% off, so if it’s new just bring in a useless pedal you don’t use, get some cash and an additional 15% off

Crowder, fretless and shane8 like this.
  12. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

In my brief time as a GC employee, only a manager (if you could find one) was allowed to discount anything and they were instructed to try and throw in some freebies instead of lowering the price.

That was just my experience at one store fwiw.

13. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

They are in the business to sell. And that used piece needs to go. Haggle away and good luck.

14. Pongo

Pongo Member

Always try.

I've gotten deals at GC on products that technically had no wriggle room; I've been flatly refused on what I felt were very good offers. Bottom line is, don't ask me, ask them! You won't know until ya try.

Rhythm Rocker and shane8 like this.
  15. krimson

krimson Member

In the past I had some luck. Not so much in the past 5 or so years.

16. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

I've tried every single time I'm in there and I'm always told no. They don't deal on used gear period. But they had a July 4th sale and told me they'd give me 15% off a used guitar I wanted. So who knows.

17. robbierobnj

robbierobnj Supporting Member

I have only got free strings, never much else.

Pongo likes this.
  18. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

Probably not your situation at all. But, I saw a use Hagstrom Ultra Swede on the local GC website for, if I remember $350. New on GC's site, there were $380. Or something along that ratio. So I went in and asked the guy about it. He knocked it down to $300. Apparently they took in the used guitar when they were selling them for $700+ new, but corporate had since reduced the price on them. It was basically mint, so it was a nice deal.

fretless likes this.
  19. woof*

woof* Member

Go ahead, go all in and call them.

shane8 likes this.
  20. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I just haggled $100 off a new $900 guitar, I’m sure they’d come down on used gear too.

monty likes this.