• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Can you haggle used gear at GC

Pseudohobbit

Of course they’ll sell above what they offer for the same gear. That’s how they make money.
My point was not that they should give you what they are going to sell for. I think 50% of what they would it sell for without the willingness to take a decent percentage off sucksx

gunslinger

If it's a $1000 guitar offer him $700 cash for it. If it's a $1500 guitar offer him a $1000 cash for it. The worst thing he can do is say no.

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
The general rule on USED gear is NO... The only exception might be if it's been there for more than 90 days. You can get deals on new gear!

~ss

pyna

i definitely have a precise vague memory of a GC coupon that included used. Feel like it was post-xmas. Anyone else have this memory, or was that just Mandela Effect?

COYS

I'm not sure why people think a chain store is going to fawn over a lowball offer because it's cash versus a higher offer that is going on a card. They don't care.

KGWagner

Any time you want to "haggle" with somebody selling something, it helps to know how they get paid, to know a little about economics, and to understand that when bartering it's almost always boils down to supply and demand (whether you're talking about money or product), as well as time. Keep in mind, different people are motivated by different things. Oddly enough, most folks think it's all about profit (and at the root, it is), but that's not always the whole story. What if you got paid a percentage of the profit rather than a percentage of the sale? What if you had to sell X amount before you got any percentage of anything? What if you knew you could buy a whole lotta something at a great price if you bought a whole lotta it RFN? Then, you might be interested in dumping a whole lotta something on hand for less to get the leverage to make that deal, knowing you could turn the new stuff at a greater profit? Each situation changes the price of the same goods.

markmann

Doesn't hurt to try but i just bought a used guitar from GC and could not get them to budge from the listed price. I tried and even talked to more than one sales guy but they said they could only discount after an item sat for 90 days. I did get them to do a setup and new strings but that's it.

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
I have haggled very successfully on used gear at GC. Usually the piece needs to be there for at least some period of time (maybe 90 days ) then they should automatically drop 10%. But sometimes if you get a manager on the phone they will work with you

T Dizz

I tried and failed but it was a Epi Custom that was already at $179 so I traded some pedals and took it home anyway.

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
Spotted a guitar at GC in Tucson that I am interested in... only I am 1000 miles away. I dont have high hopes to call and speak to anyone who would wheel and deal over the phone.
Research on eBay and Reverb what the lowest sold listings have gone for on same guitar and if GC is more, research online who the GC store GM is and call him/her and propose matching that price shipped to your local GC. Seems like a fair deal to all.

PS For those who still guitar shop at your local GC, instead of wankering away, research online who the store GM is, this is who you should only be talking to if buying something over $1k. Next time visiting store watch for them walking on the store floor and go up and introduce yourself and simply ask how the store sales are going, compliment store and wish them a great day, etc...and off you go. Next time you're in store, give him/her a quick hello. Then when you see something, research as noted lowest sold listing online and go direct to GM....build a relationship.

I did and GM would seek me out when I came in store and sometimes offer my a killer deal o something he thought I'd like.

Last edited:

amigo30

Silver Supporting Member
Spotted a guitar at GC in Tucson that I am interested in... only I am 1000 miles away. I dont have high hopes to call and speak to anyone who would wheel and deal over the phone.
You could always just , well... just buy the guitar without haggling.

Soothsayer

(Paul)
Gold Supporting Member
I have had some luck over the phone, surprisingly in store I have been told no. I always ask, no harm no foul.

plexigary

It's been a while (like six or seven years), but I was able to haggle on a vintage acoustic I found at GC. Like any large chain, they're focused on turning over the inventory, monthly sales goals, etc...

Good luck!

Trending Topics