Can you haggle used gear at GC

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisjnyc, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:15 PM.

1. plexigary

plexigary Supporting Member

It's been a while (like six or seven years), but I was able to haggle on a vintage acoustic I found at GC. Like any large chain, they're focused on turning over the inventory, monthly sales goals, etc...

Good luck!

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  2. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

All over the map. But even if they refuse, you are paying for not having to deal with a crazy CL seller, and no questions asked returns if you don't like it. Not a bad deal when you think about it. Same with selling to GC. They might give you less than a seller, but you are almost always guaranteed a sell on your time. That right there is a biggie for me.

3. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

I can't imagine if you made a reasonable offer they would outright not consider it especially if the item has been there for a while. Based on some the prices I see on some of the used gear I can't imagine some of it selling unless they were willing to negotiate a bit. I would bet that those high prices are set that way just for that reason.

4. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith Member

I often see people on the internet claiming yes, but none of the Guitar Center's around here at least will budge on the price for used gear. They have a timed schedule for price reductions on used stuff.

5. killer blues

killer blues Member

Cash is king and being at the store in person gives you more cred as a serious buyer. Do your homework to see if they will deal on a specific item. I've gotten very close to my price using this method

plexigary and sgguitarzz like this.
  6. Declassified

Declassified Member

Im not sure how old you are, but that's old school retail. Now its all about smaller volume with higher margin.

In my hometown, there's only store that haggles, and they are entirely 2nd hand store that doesn't carry new pieces. Other stores that sell new and used never haggle on either.

Sell Sell Sell is dead. retailers are protecting margin.

7. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

I bought a used 210 Hartke bass cab for $135 which was originally over $200. It wasn't even a haggle. I just asked if they'd sell it to me for less.

sgguitarzz likes this.
  8. Declassified

Declassified Member

No part time worker would give a s**t about credit card fees. They might even relish the fact the corporation would be paying those fees.

9. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Just try it. Tons of guitars hang on walls under hot lights for months and never have setups. They should automatically discount them or at least offer some incentive just because of that alone.

10. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I would agree 100%

Ended up haggling a guy on Reverb and skipped the GC guitar.

gjohnson441496lpjr likes this.
  11. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

It's not old school thinking. You are in the unfortunate situation where demand is higher than supply which will drive the prices to the upper price range. There is a price point at which the customer will purchase a similar item at a lower price or will simply take the risk of shopping elsewhere.

12. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Strongly condemned, yeah. A TGP guy, trying to make a profit buying cheap and selling high, was incensed when someone tried the same approach on him.

However, I do have a double standard - I'm very up front about it. If some guy's wife has been rushed to a hospital while out of town and he needs traveling money to get there, I really don't find it savory at all to offer him 30 cents on the dollar. Knowing he's desperate and will take it. But if GC wants to sell something for 30 cents on the dollar I am first in line. See, I identify with human beings. Corporations? They may as well be occupying Overlord aliens from Jupiter. I don't wanna necessarily kill off these corporations but I enjoy taking them down a few notches. Honestly, I find it bizarre when people don't make this distinction.

Laurence likes this.
  13. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Man, Got dat rite.... specially those that use misinformation, subterfuge, partial "accuracy" in their promotion .. Oh, wait.. that doesn't leave many does it?

r

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Right. Also on debit cards, although the charge is a little smaller.

But there are genuine reasons for a business to prefer cash and for example, to refuse checks. Storefront brick and mortar banks can be hard to get to during business hours. If a certain cash transaction will save me a trip to the bank, as a businessman, I might really value that if I'm closing shop for the week and getting on the road.

15. Capador

Capador Member

They can and will drop the price if it's been there a while (3 months or more). in fact, they will do it on their own if it's been there long enough. Within the first 90 days though, you probably won't have much luck, even though the managers can do it if they want to. Unlike a mom and pop brick and mortar, the GC employees aren't too concerned with making special deals even with cash.

Source: Just bought a used guitar from GC that had been there 60 days. The employee told me about the 90 policy, but the manager I dealt with dropped it $200 after some negotiation.

Thinking about this though, unless you keep an active eye on a particular guitar, they can tell you whatever they want about how long somethings been there....

16. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I've tried at my local one (Albany) and never get anywhere. Their used selection is often like Craigslist cast offs, but occasionally they get something decent. They have 2 JCM800 era Red marshall cabinets, but both look beat and stained. They sold the head, but the cabs have been there at least 6 months. I asked about the bottom, and they were like "dude, that's a collectors item!". Yes, if you're a dead store collecting beat examples of stuff.
    They have a newish tweed fender 6-10 bass cab, something that is very out of flavor with current bass players. I predict it will be there a year from now, priced the same as it is today.

17. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I hear you.

But using Logic when it comes to GC and especially Sam Ash, is not guaranteed to work at all. There can be times when you genuinely are $ 25 short and they won't budge. But other times they'll let you walk out of there with four "throwaway" trade in guitar cases, from the back, that work fine for shipping guitars but aren't pretty enough to be placed into commerce. Or they just give you a trem arm even though you didn't by the guitar from them. I remember one guy on another board who accumulated 5 or 6 Esquire/Tele bridge covers from GC just by asking for any spare ones while buying a pack of strings. Seems illogical to me, but there it is.

18. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

And part time workers likely not ones with discount approval based on a cash purchase - that’d be the manager. Those part time workers who give a s**t about the business - they usually become full time workers.

19. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

I agree.

I’d like to have a nice Gibson. Sam Ash has a 2016 339 for $1799. According to the techs it had been hanging there new since they got it. It had quite a few dings which I was willing to overlook but the head honcho was firm on $1799. I can buy a 2019/2020 for that price.

20. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

Hit or miss, but I did score a mint Two Rock Jet combo for $1400 shipped!