Can you haggle used gear at GC

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisjnyc, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:15 PM.

1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Curious - does your family or you own any stock shares or mutual funds? (Don't get P.O.d - I really am curious.)

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

This has worked for me in the past with GC. When the salesdude replies, "No, we don't haggle - price is firm," try replying, "I understand. But it's too high for me to buy now. Can you tell me when your next sale or 15% off coupons that apply to used gear will be so I can return then and buy it if it's still available?" You may get an answer like this. "Well, I know that in a couple of weeks, we're going to give 15% off of gear purchased with used gear trade-ins, let me check with my manager if I can do that for you now." Then you come in with your crappiest old no-longer-needed pedal and do the deal.

3. Declassified

Declassified Member

I’m a full time worker at an appliance place where people try very hard to haggle. I protect margins. Cash means nothing to mean.

4. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

GC may or may not haggle, it depends on current sales going on, and how long the used piece may have been hanging there.
    I bought my '99 Gibson LP Standard Lite (DC) and got a good discount on it. They were asking $1400, with trade-in values, I totaled out at $1100. Why? 1. Because it was a used. 2. It had been on the wall for 9 months. 3. It was completely unplayable (strings were on the frets). 4. I was trading in multiple guitars in excellent condition. I asked the manager to have it setup (for free) to get it playable again, and haggled from there.

Yes, I know I lost my ass with the trade ins vs. private resale, but in reality, I broke even because I bought them at very good prices. And I wasn't playing any of them, nor regret trading them in.

Always negotiate with the manager.

5. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

you will never get the discount you didn't ask for. That much I know.

Give it a try. what's the worse that could happen?

gjohnson441496lpjr likes this.
  6. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Just got home from selling two guitars to GC.
    I had $2000 total into them, walked out with a check for $1400.
    No haggling, no shipping, no returns, done.
    This makes 4 I've sold them in the last year.

7. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Makes sense. Not saying cash is some magic bullet for big discounts BTW. In some cases if the cash offer is good enough - a company can get a smidge more margin on the transaction by avoiding the CC fee. Not huge but in some cases a company might care. You are absolutely right - margins are king.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Not even close to taking offense, Jon!

Yeah, I'd say the family is "diversified". You can't totally turn your back on the accumulations of wealth and power that come from the corporate world. But I never did get around to accepting any work from really large corporations, once my practice was up and going.

So, I would say I don't mind owning a piece of them. I just don't want them owning a piece of me! :^)

In my case then, too much real estate and for the rest of the family, too much stock market. I keep begging them to sell some stock off, but it keeps going up and they keep procrastinating. I just don't see how a market so heavily dependent on consumer spending can expand any further.

Jon Silberman and Laurence like this.
  9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

You must have bought those guitars very carefully. Although, in stores, prices are certainly coming up and have done so in the last ten years.

I've also got to come to terms with the fact that my experiences with GC are on the way to becoming history. Maybe I need to get out of the way and defer to people buying and selling in 2019.

FLYING V 83 likes this.
  10. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

I buy used from GC a lot. Over the phone 99.99% will be no. In person for sure, just bought a guitar last night and got a 15% discount and it was not an expensive one.

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  11. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Agree.

12. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Smart haggling.

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  13. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

I have had them knock the price down a bit on used guitars a couple of times, paid with a credit card. Maybe I have just been lucky, but both times I pretty much said, well, I'm buying if you can move on the price at all. Maybe there is some policy where if the used guitar has been sitting for X amount of days they can discount and I just happened on a couple that had been sitting? Not sure.

14. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

My personal experience is that GC managers fall in three basic categories:

* Those that have worked in sales before and will try to figure out *something* to close a sale. My local store manager has a POS (point of sales) trick that she's used a couple of times for me on new "orange tag" guitars that always provides some additional discount. Not sure if the trick is company sanctioned or not, so without being explicit...it pays to ask if items that are sold as a package show up in their POS broken down into the individual line items. I've said too much.

* Those that should never have worked in sales. Pretty sure that I've told this story before- at one point I wanted to buy an 201X ESP Horizon that had hung in a local GC for 90+ days and offered $850 on a $1199 tag- fair market rate. The manager pulled up eBay and started to "search for comps"- WTF??? I politely suggested that the GC system would show *exactly* what they had bought the piece for and that GC corporate would have dictated how much minimum margin he needed to make on it- because, math and basic sales 101. The manager decided what he needed to do was retag the piece at $1399 based on his intermet searchez. Went back a week later hoping to catch a different manager and found out that a day or two after my negotiation attempt a customer dropped and broke the (pointy) headstock off the guitar trying to put it back on a top row hanger- making it a total write off. This GC location is now closed.

* Cashiers- Corporate policy prevents them from doing anything other than simply ringing up your item and handing you a receipt.

15. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

I have 3 local GC's and they won't budge on used gear prices. I have made a number of very reasonable offers in the 10-20% range of asking price, based on condition, frequently which does not match what is advertised. They should have took the money and ran on some of those offers but they let me walk away each time.

16. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I asked over the phone and they took $50 bucks off
    Just call and ask.

17. mr. moon

mr. moon Member

I have purchased quite a number of used guitars and other used gear from GC. Some of the tricks I have learned are:
    1. Have the item(s) shipped to the local GC for pickup to keep UPS/FedEX from leaving package out in the elements or to be ripped off from your doorstep.
    2. Used gear usually is not able to be haggled down unless it has been in the store 30-90 days, depending on the item and the manager you speak with
    3. Always try to speak with a manager when/if you are going to try to haggle ...I've had the best luck with them over newbie employees who want to impress the management on how well they tow the company line to keep their job.
    4. If you cannot haggle price down, try to get upgraded shipping from free standard to Express (2-day). Many times they can swing this, and it gets the item shipping faster using more reliable/quicker methods.
    5. When discussing the item over the phone, make sure to ask as many specific questions about the condition of the item as you can possibly think of! Cannot stress this one enough, as an item that is returned "not as described" or "defective" will have the shipping fees returned as well, so you are out ZERO spacebucks! It has been my experience that defects/issues are present on pretty much every piece of gear I have purchased from them which would allow me a free return. I am in no way suggesting that you lie or be deceitful about this, but most phone reps I have dealt with do not find all issues that any piece of gear may have, and you will not be held financially responsible for their neglect in finding issues. (I'm talking about bad fret sprout, incorrect speakers in cabinets, bad electronics, gouges, holes, etc., not just minor stuff)
    6. Most importantly, be respectful and engaging with the people you speak/interact with. No one will work "with" you if you come across in an aggressive annoying manner.

18. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Super good advice- Some GC locations pack used gear well, some not so much, some basically just over box if you're that lucky. Make sure you know the original specs of whatever you're buying and always open in store with an employee present so you'll have a witness to any damage, undeclared mods, swapped parts (pickups- especially on "vintage" gear), missing parts etc. Another thing that you should also do with used gear is give everything a good 'face right up to it" smell test in the store to see if anything is amiss. Mildew, smoke, and stale beer are the usual suspects, but bong water, vomit, pee (not exclusively cat either), cheap cologne, etc. make the occasional appearance as well.

19. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

I don't always ask for a discount. I frequent a lot of shops in town. If I'm in need of something or its something I really want I don't always ask for a discount. I don't want to be that guy whom when they see coming they're walking away instead of greeting me. It helps for the times I'm short on cash and need a discount. Those guys work on commission and they don't make a lot of money.

20. NHDave

NHDave Supporting Member

question. The 15 percent off when trading in. I always assumed that was simply for new stuff. Is that not correct?

btw. I use top cashback. Get 6% cashback. But... you have to use the shopping cart and make sure you use a computer, phone etc that doesn’t block the tracking cookie. Now if you could get 15 on a trade for a cheap pedal Sure that would be great.