Can you help me again and tell me if you see prob? besides sloppyness

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by highway-one, Dec 22, 2009.

1. highway-one

highway-one Member

2. bopplayer

bopplayer Member

3. highway-one

highway-one Member

great links man thanks alot. I cant beleive I forgot vabrato. :jo thanks again for the links, that first guy blew me away, Ill Be looking him up and In need to get a Roy B in the player too, and Albert King too

4. loofery

loofery Member

Here's a thought: try giving yourself less choruses / a shorter solo.

Then try and maximize that time wisely.

I can't think of any blues (not jazz blues) solos going on for over 4 minutes (which is more than enough for a professional to say his piece), let alone 8 minutes. If anything, take a couple shorter solos with a different approach ie one clean, one dirty, and play the melody/riff/verse in between.

5. bopplayer

bopplayer Member

Yeah years ago I asked a bunch of older guys what they didn't like about my playing as they already told me what they liked, came away with things about myself I never noticed so again good for you to ask.

Larry Carlton has two DVD's (Hal Leonard publishing) that cover phrasing in blues that you could benefit from. Cop some licks from Warren Haynes and Jimmy Page...you need short phrased licks and some thematic development. Story, tell a story, that's what Kirk is doing in that first clip. What story is he telling? makes me think of a tall sexy woman on a dance floor that everyone is staring at. She's most likely a street educated stripper, but looking extra classy tonight as she's with a guy that has a lot of money. Everyone in the room knows she's a hooker but is still captivated by her presence.

6. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

Sounded fine. It's hard to build a solo or even tell a story over such a flat backing track ... no build up, etc. It's been said the best way to improve you solos is to play with a great rhythm section ; )...

Personally, I thought something was a little weird, especially in the beginning, but it was hard to put my finger on it ... I wanted to hear more targeting of chord tones, or something.

You used vibrato fine. I thought your phrasing was very good. Nice space. Maybe sing out and hold one note a bit longer ... did you ever play anything longer than a quarter note?

You might try (for fun, not because anything is wrong with your style) some more outside playing in the transitions between chords, eg a diminished run going from the I to the IV.

7. highway-one

highway-one Member

diminished alright ill look that up and......... thanks for the ideas guys I got alot out of this thread

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

Where is it that you're trying to go with this?

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

You got some really nice comments, that's cool to see. I'm glad people can give their opinions without thrashing.

That being said, I thought you had a good sound and generally a good feel. I can tell you've put time into playing and are a conscientious listener/pay attention to detail.

Good luck with the phrasing and story-telling and the use of tension. I have a real hard time with those things too.

Dave

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

If you're the poster I think you are, this is a big improvement. Nice work. I would agree with the above comment. Try limiting yourself to 2 choruses and see what you have to say in that space.

11. highway-one

highway-one Member

Oh IM JUST SHOWING OFF

no I want to clarify the things wrong with my playing that i might not hear.

12. highway-one

highway-one Member

Good deal ill do that

13. highway-one

highway-one Member

With the music?

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

Well, there's no right or wrong, there's just what you have to say.

I mean, beyond soloing over a blues backing track, what are your playing aspirations? If I knew that I might be able to offer some advice.

15. highway-one

highway-one Member

I want to say as much as David Gilmous says in the wall solo pt 2. Please help me, All ive gatered from that solo is that he goes up and town the board alot.and he his spaces seem to determine where he goes with that.:horse the jackass is I

16. bopplayer

bopplayer Member

Learn Shine on you crazy diamond and have a Cigar and post vids.

17. SwedeRacer

SwedeRacer Member

one again there is no direction - I just hear some good sounding licks with no melody, which unfortunately makes it incredibly boring.

Want to sound like gilmour? Play one or two notes at a time and hit chord tones. Thats a good start. Also play with a better backing track - next time go look up a pink floyd track and improv over comfortably numb or something similar. That will tell you more then pointless blues noodling.

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

What about a girlfriend? .. Maybe one or two..
    Then all your notes will take on an instinctive nuance not there yet ..:)

19. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

joseph knows from whence the blues come.... :) the only good argument I've ever heard against that is Johnny Lang. He was playing incredible blues WAY before he had any right to....

I agree with the others here.... I don't hear a story being told here.... something with lots of emotion that is personal, reflective, deep. The solo you mention from Mr. Gilmour is all that...

20. Rob 62

Rob 62 Member

Not sure why you and everybody else thinks you need to play like Gilmour.

You're a good player. My advice is get out of your bedroom, stop submitting videos just so other people can detract from them (and have you sitting in your room making new ones), and find yourself a working band situation.

As far as the unusual note choices - there were only a few instances where they seemed "wrong" - a lot of times I just heard them as surprising, which is good. Hendrix and Albert Collins could pull some unusual notes into their playing, too. I will agree with the posters who said that these long-form jam tracks are problematic. How are you supposed to come up with fresh ideas for that many minutes without another live player to feed you ideas? Which brings me back to my original point: play with other people, and make your mistakes on the stand. Most of your audience won't hear them, or be bothered by them - unless they're all TGP'ers. In that case, your screwed: make it a stage with a trap door, for a quick escape.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009