Can you identify my Fender amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by knorbert6, Feb 14, 2012.

1. knorbert6

knorbert6 Member

Hey all,

I have owned this amp for 6 years, yet despite my best efforts, I can't tell what model/year it is, or what is original.
    I have never seen a Fender amp with 2x10 speakers that are offset from each other (see pics). It has tremolo, but no reverb at all. I believe it may be pre 1965, due to the 'Fender Electric Instrument Co. Fullerton California. If you look inside along the bottom right of the cab, it looks as though it may have been Tweed covered, but has been sprayed black?

Any info would be much appreciated!!!!
    Thanks, Rob
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

If it IS a Fender, it has been regrilled, recovered, had the faceplate stripped and non-professionally painted. Speakers would not be original. First glance says it is a "serviceman" type amp- "faux Fender", but the transformers look legit. The Australian sticker may be a clue. Perhaps Fender Australia bought components in the 60s and manufactured their amps on the continent with slightly different cosmetics rather than importing complete amps.
    Anyone else?

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Looks like a some type of homemade amp using Fender parts. The front panel is not a Fender, but the rear is. The transformers you show look to be Fender/Schumacher parts. The cabinet is anyones guess and Fender didn't use Celestion speakers. Pulling the chassis to show the circuit may give more clues.

4. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, nothing about it looks like a real Fender to me. How does it sound?

5. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Five digit serial number with no alpha prefix would indicate brown/blond era chassis '60-63. The dog house is not original. The cabinet looks like fender's obstruction style, but has non fender tolex... And the grill cloth is certainly not original. Speakers look like Marshall cast offs.

How does it sound?

6. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I'd hang onto it for a while. It does look very interesting. I agree that it has been covered in tweed and then painted black and this was done many years ago. Can you remove the chassis and take some pictures of the inside? It's probably a homemade cabinet with some type of early 60's chassis.

7. knorbert6

knorbert6 Member

Thanks for the helpful replies!
    Sound-wise I think its clean but very bassy, probably too much so for me. I haven't really had enough amp experience to compare it to anything. How tonally different would a homemade cab be?
    I couldn't see anything particularly identifiable inside the chassis, heres what I got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks again!

8. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

9. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

10. 335guy

335guy Member

A brown era Pro would have a presence control on the front and use a ss rectifier. I was thinking a brown era Super, because that does use a tube rectifier, but it also has the presence control on the front. The only stock Fender chassis that fits the OP's amp layout would be the brown era Vibrolux installed in some sort of a cab, which would need to be about 23-23.5" wide. Custom made cab perhaps using some Fender parts?

11. davestp1

davestp1 Supporting Member

the rear panel layout looks somewhat like my 62 tremolux

12. TravisE

TravisE Member

Someone should be strung up by their toenails. Lots of component changes that likely didn't need to be done. I was guessing '61 Tremolux or Bandmaster.

13. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I am thinking, because it has trem but no reverb and 6L6 tubes. Maybe a bandmaster?

Yeah, the guts of that look ALOT like my bandmaster

14. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

I think it started out as a Brownface Tremolux------PT and OT changed, many board components changed, amp put into a homemade 2x10 cab, faceplate repainted and BF type knobs installed.
    Looks like the work was done some time ago--- but I've seen worse jobs---last yr a friend brought me a BF Bassman mounted in a 2x10 repro cab------ the circuit mods were done so poorly that smoke started rolling off the board when I tried to fire it up on my bench----I gutted their mods and rebuilt it to near stock AA864 Bassman specs-----nice sounding amp now..........................gldtp99

15. cereal

cereal Member

16. Oatie

Oatie Member

It's interesting,

Notice the T-A Ink Inspection stamp on your amp and my Export Deluxe Amp. It's a real Fender amp alright.

Please post all the Pots codes, this will help date the amp.
    The Output trans is a Bassman 70 Ultra Linear type and is probably a
    replacement, the PT is who knows, the choke is a late 1961 build, so I would guess this is a very early 1962 Export Fender Pro and a very rare amp. The cloth covered wiring would make it an early 60s amp vs. the PVC wire used in 1972.

I would pull the chassis and document the amp, post more pics and email some pics to Gregg Gagliano.

I have an early 1961 Brown Deluxe Export Amp with the factory Export install board
    inside the chassis. Here is a pic. The bottom pic shows the Pin installed in the 117 Volt slot. The Select-Pin is about 3/8" diameter and 5/8" long, you simply slide it out the selected voltage slot and install in another. The Metal slots have a strong Cold-Roll Tinned Copper or Brass metal and is very strong (Stiff). You almost need to use a set of pliers to pull it out and install in another slot. The metal is strong and makes a tight bond for the power.

These old Export Amps are very rare, the next generation Export with the Blackface amps has the recognizable Red Select Switch in the Aux. Power Outlet location.

I played the amp using 220 volts once and the amp seemed to have more power
    and top-end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Oatie

Oatie Member

I can see the 2 holes in your chassis next to the PT for the Export Voltage-Board,
    check to see if you can see any marks on the underside of the chassis to see if any nuts were installed or tightened that may have left marks from the original nuts.

There are 2 screws with nuts that hold the Export Strip in place.

I doubt the PT is the original, but you never know. More investigating is needed.

Most of the Brownface era amps had the 2 Export-Strip holes pre-drilled in the chassis's.

18. davestp1

You should remove the faceplate and see if it was simply turned over and painted. Hopefully that is what was done. The original one might be on back or if not, maybe the paint job on it can be removed without harming the original brown if it was simply silkscreened over (if that faceplate is the original one)

If that choke is original to this chassis, according to various fender transformer code sites (superiormusic, uncle spot) that choke was used on only a few fender products: deluxe reverb and the stand alone reverb unit (neither of which this appears to be) and the tremolux and vibrolux of the early sixties (which this seems to be one of)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  19. davestp1

Any news on this amp....?

20. Relicaster

Relicaster Member