• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

can you lock the bridge of a fender mustang?

Derelict

is it possible? thinking about a mustang. love/hate trems. want to know if i could lock it down if i wanted to.

thanks.

PB Wilson

The spring tension on my late 60s Mustang is quite stiff and it's going nowhere.

The bridge is a floating design so you might want to do something about that to keep everything as snug as possible.

You could wrap the legs with tape until it doesn't move in the holes if it suits your fancy.

Derelict

well,
i guess, more specifically, could i tweak it so that if i broke a string it wouldn't go out of tune?

Julia343

I had a Mustang. Loved the scale. Hated the bridge. Hated the bridge so much that I sold the guitar. I bought it the day of the price increase and got it for the old price. I sold it used for the old price and lost nothing on the transaction. Some day I'd like to get another one but a Warmoth knockoff made as a hardtail. But I doubt that will happen.

Actually would probably be cheaper to buy a Squier Duosonic an do some rewiring and repaint the instrument.

televox

Gold Supporting Member
You can tension the springs somehow by the way they are positioned. I forget how it's done off the top of my head but google it.
I personally have no issues with those trems, I have a 1966 mustang and the trem stays in tune, love those guitars.

rspencer

Same here. The trem on my '68 is great.
Can drop, can pull up.
And best of all, bending one string doesn't cause others to change pitch.

TNO

Back in the day I blocked my Mustang's trem with some epoxy putty. Really helped the guitar's sustain and tone. Like night and day. Before I sold it I was able to remove the putty pretty easily.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom