• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Can you lovely people recommend me some Kemper profiles?

Semi recently got a Kemper, and I've been using the AC20 Morgan patch from the rig exchange for most stuff. It's amazing!

However, I'm after these tones :

- 'Sparkly' John Mayer cleans. AC20 can do cleans, but looking for something else
- A more shred style profile, for things like Metallica etc
- Some recommendations for great profiles that you like, except for death metal stuff.

Thank you!

Additional question. My interface is playing up and keeps cutting out. I've had it for about 4 years and it was £80 when I bought it - so it's done well! Could you recommend another interface to replace it with? I only need 2 mic inputs , and SPDIF would be cool

Last edited:

ColdFrixion

- 'Sparkly' John Mayer cleans. AC20 can do cleans, but looking for something else

Want sparkly cleans? Disable the Cab section and tweak the tone controls to taste. Obviously this isn't applicable for profiles with gain.

- Some recommendations for great profiles that you like, except for death metal stuff.

I'd strongly recommend sorting profiles on the Rig Exchange by their star rating and try the highest rated ones. You can find some great stuff that way.

Last edited:

Watt McCo

Want sparkly cleans? Disable the Cab section and tweak the tone controls to taste. Obviously this isn't applicable for profiles with gain.

That'll give sparkly clean, but not John Mayer apart clean.

I do like the Tone Junkies JMOD pack.

hlarry14

Silver Supporting Member
Semi recently got a Kemper, and I've been using the AC20 Morgan patch from the rig exchange for most stuff. It's amazing!

Thank you!

Additional question. My interface is playing up and keeps cutting out. I've had it for about 4 years and it was £80 when I bought it - so it's done well! Could you recommend another interface to replace it with? I only need 2 mic inputs , and SPDIF would be cool

My current favorite clean profile is called “UWE - Twins 335” - it’s a free one that came with my Kemper. Even though it name checks the 335, it works really well with many different guitars.

As for interfaces, I’ve had great luck with Focusrite. The 2i2 is nice and inexpensive (around $160) but no SPDIF - for that you’d have to step up to the 6i6 - more expensive at around $270.

shizzaq

Silver Supporting Member

Thank you!

My advice is to not buy anything yet. Just get some free stuff at first. Go to the rig exchange and search for Brian Carl. His profiles are mostly clean and light to medium gain. He’s a Pro P&W guitarist who sells profiles but his freee samples are on rig exchange. I think his stuff is some of the best for what I like. Get the free sample packs from Tone Junkie and MBritt. The MBritt stuff that comes on the profiler is not the same as his free rig pack so download that and get his free sample pack which is different I think too. For metal there are some really good profiles on the rig exchange for free. Do some sorting on number of ratings and the rating value.

the.godfather

When I had my Kemper I used the Morgan AC20 for everything from sparkly clean through to mild breakup tones.

For anything metal or shred I never used anything else but the amazing Mesa profiles by 'Djemass'. Best to checkout his official thread on the Kemper forums. He has his own site too that's well worth donating towards!

shizzaq

Silver Supporting Member
All good suggestions. For me, less profiles in rotation usually equals better tone.
I totally agree with this. Here lately I only use one profile for 90% of my playing. It is a Brian Carl profile that he sent out for free in an email a while back. I don't know if he posted that one to the Rig Exchange or not though. Its of the EF86 channel of a Morgan Duel 40 amp I think. It's mostly clean with just a little breakup when hit hard or on the bridge of my Strat with Don Mare Supersports. I copied some Tube Screamer and Soft Shaper settings from a Tone Junkie profile for my transparent over drive and lead boost sounds. I set up a dual delay where both delays are set to dotted 8th and then I use a little bit of modulation and tape flutter to make them sound really wide in the stereo field. I also tweaked forever on the univibe sound to get something close to my deja-vibe. It's close enough and sounds good but some of the distortion sounds and modulation sounds are now the only weak point of the Kemper for me. Anyhow I got this one profile set up and go my remote configured with it and its like having a killer amp and pedal board rig that actually sounds good at a reasonable volume through my studio monitors.

tnipe

Check out the Rig Packs that are included in the Rig Manager. There are free packs there from MBritt, TopJimi, Bert M. etc. Tone Jonkie and others offer free packs on their website for you to try out different profiles. You can then purchase more specific packs when you find profile-makers that you like. There are a couple of profilers who try to nail the early Metallica tone, consult the Kemper forum! ToneJunkie has some good John Mayer stuff.

I want to second the opinion of less profiles is more in the end. I bought a kemper 2nd hand with around 800 profiles on it. Lots of paid stuff and who knows what else. It was paralyzing. I found a few I liked but scrolling through hundreds of profiles is silly. Recently I found a profile I really liked and for weeks stayed on it. Then I realized what I really need to do is backup all these things and wipe the kemper. Best decision I ever made. With rig manager I can still evaluate any profile whenever I want. I’ve been working on stepping though each profile and spending some time with it and if I feel it offers something one of the other ones I already have on the kemper does not and I like it a lot, I’ll copy it over. I think I have a whopping 5 profiles on my kemper at the moment and I have a lot more to go through. I think somewhere around 20 will be where I land and that sounds like a reasonable list to scroll through. The first profile that made me stop and leave it for a few weeks is the Cal Texan bluz by Michael Britt. I like it with a strat or tele especially but also sounds good with my les pauls. So far the only other thing I put in the chain is a lehle Sunday driver which I also like a lot. It gives that little extra and the drive control is very smooth to dial in.

Anyway, good luck! The kemper is a stellar piece of kit. It completely has removed my desire to acquire guitar amps and actually has gotten me selling them.

Watt McCo

Thanks all!

Just out of interest who, in your opinion, does a great Fender Clean profile?
The whole reason I bought a Kemper was so I could have 15 great Fender clean profiles - Tweed, blackface, brownface, champ, deluxe, super, etc., etc. Loads of good stuff on the exchange. Loads of good commercial stuff.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom