Can you make an 8 ohm speaker into 16 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by atomheartmother, May 15, 2006.

1. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

Is there anyway to do this? Other than changing the speaker. Is there any gadget or anything?

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Yes, put a power resistor of 8 ohms, and suitable wattage, in series with it. This will reduce the output by half.

3. bob-i

bob-i Member

Yes, Weber makes an impedance matching transformer. It adjusts the impedance without losing 1/2 the power. I'm sure there is some loss but you'd have to ask Weber about that.

The issue with the power resistor method is that it's not an inductive load and will change the tone.

4. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

How do they do it in cabs and amps that have impedance switches?

5. brad347

brad347 Member

those are multiple speaker cabinets. By changing the way speakers are wired up, you can change teh impedance. When speakers are wired in series with one another, the impedance adds together. When they are wired in parallel, the impedance is cut in half. If you have four speakers, you can wire two pairs in series, and then wire those two pairs in parallel, to get a "series/parallel" wiring which will give you the same impedance of one speaker alone (provided all speakers have the same impedance).

SO if I have four 8 ohm speakers, I could wire them in parallel (2 ohms), series (32 ohms) or series/parallel (8 ohms)

6. Swarty

Swarty Member

You could have it reconed to be whatever you want.