Can you play a Flying V sitting down?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Grenville, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Grenville

Grenville Member

Why yes, yes you can:

[​IMG]

Of course, you don't HAVE to be sitting down to play one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Actually quite comfortable sitting down but.....not like he's holding it...too long to explain but if you situate the guitar right...it's in the perfect classical position

3. Grenville

Grenville Member

Yeh, that's me... you don't even need to hold it like a classical, just tuck one wing under your arm and it's so light it's not gonna move much anyway.

4. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Ahh!!...you should smile more.....hehe ;)

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

:D I thought this was gonna be a thread about the many uses of duct tape.

6. Mortebpmb

Mortebpmb Member

Sitting I prefer the lower wing between the legs so the neck point about 45 degrees up in a classical position.
    Good to see a Flying V in action! Nice pictures.

7. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

A friend of mine had a Gibson Flying V that actually had a plastic lever that folded out from the bottom fin and formed a 90 degree bracket against your leg. Kind of cheesy looking if you ask me but it did work.

8. sega

sega Member

I've been asking that question for a long time and finally got a positive answer.

Can you tell me about the sound while were at it?Is it in the same field as the Explorer?

9. Noah

Noah Member

When I was first starting out I only had an Ibanez Rocket Roll flying V to play. The great thing was that it pretty much forced you to play standing up most of the time. When I joined a band I had no problem playing some pretty tricky solos live because I'd been practicing everything standing up anyway! I still break out a V once in awhile for shows. Very cool and fun guitars...perfect for playing high speed solos!

10. Grenville

Grenville Member

Yes, it's a 1977 Ibanez Rocket Roll Sr. My second, in fact, bought last year. I used to have a 1976 model back in the 1980s as well as an Ibanez Destroyer, their version of the Gibson Explorer.

The buzz around town in those days was that the Ibanez versions were better than the 1976 Gibson Explorer reissue. Clearly there were differences - solid wood body for the Gibson AFAIK, but the Ibanez Destroyer was a one-piece top slab and two-piece back. The V (Rocket Roll Sr.) is the same. But both Ibanez' were dreams to play, better necks than any Gibson version I have tried.

The guitars I had back in the day both sounded great - the V was a slightly better sounding instrument. I had had to replace the bridge pickup in the Explorer and put in a Seymour Duncan JB, which I liked, but the original Ibanez Super 70s in the V were just a little more toneful.

My current V had Seymour Duncans when I got it, perhaps a '59 neck and JB bridge, I do not know. I had a pair of pickups custom wound for me by a gentleman called Mick Brierly (website on the way at www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au) and after a bit of discussion about what I needed he nailed what I was after. The guitar rawks. I play with a lot of dynamics and use the volume control a lot, and these pickups can go from gentle to screaming.

And I play at home, seated, with the V quite a bit with no probs.

11. jaycee

jaycee Member

I play my v sitting down all the time. I actually find it very comfortable. My right thigh sits between the 'legs' of the v and the lower fin is comfortably tucked behind my right calf.

12. Owl-man

Owl-man Member

+1:dude

13. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

Yep, that is just perfect for me too. It is actually my most comfortable
    "sit down" axe I've ever had.