Can you play LEAD guitar??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blandy-rhoades, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:45 PM.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Some types of music and some arrangement clearly have 2 or more guitar parts the clearly divide into rhythm an lead duty.
    Instrumental music requires a lead and harmony instrument and guitar can fill both roles, and the lead/melody needs to continue as required.

Artists like Clapton and Knopfler hire rhythm guitarist to play that portion of the arrangements.

Maybe YOU don't see it that way but both roles can exist independently and with little overlap.
    Ever hear of the Grateful Dead?

Paleolith54 likes this.
  2. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

The same guy has both of those gigs?:eeks

LeicaBossNJ, rizla and sixesandsevens like this.
  3. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

OP - why are you rhythm shaming me?!? So what if I can only play barre chords with the bass on the sixth string. Lemme tell ya - there are TONS of people who like to hear full barre chords on the 15th fret!!!!

4. IronHorse

IronHorse Member

Nothing is more important that solid rhythm! I love playing lead, but it took me YEARS to be a good rhythm guitar player. Lead players who think you are all special....go get a loop pedal and learn how to lay down and loop a flawless rhythm for your leads....that will expose any flaws in your timing and show suckage mercilessly. Best lead/rhythm practice tool in my book!

5. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

That pretty much sums it up..

6. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

... Like the Boss of Butthurt

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

8. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

i think this is a great question... playing lead is an art and not everyone can do it.

epauley and Hari Seldon like this.
  9. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I’m at a loss to respond to you now - are you suggesting Jerry would have started a thread in which he belittled dedicated rhythm guitarists and told them to beat it?

11. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I agree. I can appreciate what rhythmic guys like Neil Young, Malcolm Young, etc. do but I think the fawning over guys like that is a bit off.

Any competent guitar player should be able to hold down a steady chord progression in tune and in time. That is far easier than being able to shred like Vai, Malmsteen, Gilbert, and the like. Frankly I am surprised how mediocre most amateur guitar players are. So many players proudly post clips and links and I am always amazed at how poor much of the playing is.

Now for the record, I PREFER Neil and Malcolm 100 times more than shred guys, but it was a hell of a lot easier to learn their stuff when I was 16 then Eddie Van Halen and Marty Friedman.

My favorite guitarist of all time is The Edge, but I think, his rhythm chops aside, his creativity and imagination put him above any shredder.

Not that any of this matters. It's subjective really.

12. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I can play songs.

If the songs require strummed chords, arpeggios, single note lines, double-stop lines, partial chords, short solos, longer solos, solos that adhere to unusual changes, pattern based riffs, reggae skank, funk, jangle-pop, country-ish bends, etc. ...yes, I can play those.

I do draw the line at lead wankery though.

-bEn r.

13. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I wish I hadn't

14. n9ne

n9ne Member

Sometimes my Les Paul FEELS like it's made of lead....but I'm pretty sure it's just wire and wood.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

? no.
    You indicated/agreed that you failed to note any distinction between the two modes.

16. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I don't think of Neil as a strictly rhythm guy, even though he is a master at it. In fact, his lead playing has always been one of my influences. It's obviously not shredder style lead playing, but playing lead just the same.

17. lhallam

lhallam Member

Clapton is an excellent rhythm guitarist. Here is one of many examples:

18. bob-i

bob-i Member

While I was doing a single in bars years ago, I played electric with backing tracks. One regular customer decided he wanted to learn to play guitar. He brought in his LEAD guitar, a Kramer with a single hum in the bridge. He showed it to me and said it’s a dual PU LEAD guitar. I explained that it was one dual coil pickup, to which he replied, it’s a LEAD guitar and it has 2 pickups.

He asked me to play it for a few songs, but I had to play LEAD because it was a LEAD guitar. I played a few songs, rhythm and lead, and he was ecstatic. I played his LEAD guitar.

So I guess the answer is YES, I played a LEAD guitar once.

19. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

I will cut your head playing riddim or leabs!

20. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Playing rhythm is an art and not everyone can do it. Anyone can play lead, at what level is very different. You can play a one note lead in the correct key and play a lead. There are a lot of dumbasses out that think they are good when they are wanking many notes and have no clue. The OP, I would love to hear one of his leads, yours also.