Can you play LEAD guitar??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blandy-rhoades, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:45 PM.

1. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer Member

Anyone else thinking this is going to be a long thread? :D

2. Dashface

Dashface Member

Playing great rhythm guitar is so much more impressive - and so much more _important_ - than being able to play blazing leads.

3. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Well one thing I know it couldn't be on TGP is humor.

rizla likes this.
  4. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

melodicism, whether it’s rhythm or lead.

5. mobius

mobius Member

Lead expresses the inner melody of the soul.

Being good at it is irrelevant so long as one can express that melody. It is not limited to shred only, there are many paths.

There are no rhythm violinists, trumpetists, saxophonists. There's a reason why.

(And before any smartar*es pipe up, there's a reason why that's a reason :D)

6. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I know of some good players who only play rhythm. I don't know of any good players who play nothing but lead.
    I had a band in my studio once years ago with a guy who never stopped playing noodley leads, even through the vocals and the quiet parts. It was really annoying.

7. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

There's a guy in my area that puts up facebook posts and craigslist ads saying "if anyone needs a LEAD guitarist, I am a LEAD guitarist and I can play LEAD for you" (he caps LEAD every time). He is terrible and think's he's Hendrix and EVH incarnate. And OP we in the area actually do laugh at him! He refuses to play rhythm... the latest hilarity is he tried to make a living busking and posted all sorts of angry comments about how everybody else was ruining local music scene and because of THEM he wasn't getting any tips (while noodling on the streets to karaoke tracks)! SOME PEOPLE eh?

jonnytexas and Radar like this.
  8. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

Being a lead guitarist or a rhythm guitarist is like saying "I'm a pianist but I only use my left hand" or vice versa.
    A pianist who could only use his right or left hand wouldn't be called a pianist.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:35 AM
    Dashface, Thumpalumpacus and BriSol like this.
  9. rizla

rizla Member

I get paid per note.
    No time for pauses or rests and I seldom let melody get in the way of a good solo/paycheck.
    A constant barrage of 64th's with resolutions in 128th's and 256ths.

10. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

11. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

When I first started out playing guitar I wanted to be a lead guitarist, and in my early teen ignorance I even thought they were different instruments.

Later I found out that we are in fact talking about playing the exact same instrument.

When that is said I guess I am more of a lead guitarist player, or at least the only project I ever played guitar in that had a real release out (I otherwise have focused mostly on playing bass) had me credited as Lead Guitar, since I took care of most of the melodic guitar content of the songs, whereas the other guitarist, who also was the main song writer and singer, mostly took care of strumming chords.

This was sort of a lo-fi indie pop project, that ,while being it's own thing, were inspired by names like Sebadoh, Eric's Trip and perhaps more prominently the not so lo-fi Belle & Sebastian.

The old solo folk project of mine that I am now working on reviving where guitar is also my main song writing tool, I don't strum a lot of chords either but mostly play a more, for folk, typical melodic finger picking kind of guitar, a bit more as if I played a classical acoustic nylon string guitar.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:44 AM
  12. BriSol

BriSol Member

I'm 99% sure the OP is a troll post.

Some of the responses are almost as wrong as the OP :)

13. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

Yes, buuut...

Back then in the bad old times they distinguished between lead and rhythm guitars. Fender tele or jazzmaster or jaguar or whatever.
    This was nonsense, but in the mind of many surf bands or the like this made sense.
    The lead guitar was the one with the tremolo bar.

14. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I’ve found over the years that “lead” and “rhythm” are still used by older guys who played in rock and roll, surf bands etc in the 60’s. Most of them stopped buying gear circa ‘65 and still have what they bought.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 9:09 AM
  15. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I agree. I find players that are strictly "Lead Guitar Players" quite limited.

drlucky and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  16. WordMan

WordMan Member

I assume this is to be heard in my brain with Jack Black’s voice and his caterpillar eyebrows going ;)

Only LEAD?! Rude! Please consider my pearls officially clutched.

Hey, waitaminnit!! My first electric was a Fender Lead, like this: https://reverb.com/item/1430575-fen...h17yQFdEAQYBSABEgKE2_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

I’m in, baby! Yes, OP, I *am* a Lead player!*

So, um, never mind; carry on.

;)

*IRL, I try to sound like Keith Richards playing Malcolm Young riffs. Or is it M.Y. Playing Keef riffs? Those guys.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 7:30 AM
    Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  17. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Gotta be a silly troll,or else 1975 middle school observations of rock music are coming around again. I thought this was a dumb topic then and worse now. Hendrix, Page, Iommi, Gibbons, they had the riffs and the licks. Only amateurs trying to be something socially were distinguishing themselves in that way.

stanshall likes this.
  18. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

....should have over 20 pages by now...eh?

19. ElectroDux

ElectroDux Member

If you think of you self as a “lead guitarist” Please please please identify yourself that was to rest of us so we will know to avoid playing with you. I prefer to play with people who want to play songs rather than pat themselves on the back.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    Thumpalumpacus and ChampReverb like this.
  20. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

POLL: Who are the most awesomest coolest, most bestest guitar people and everyone else can kiss off?

[ ] LEAD guitarists
    [ ] Also LEAD guutarists