Can you power an MM4 @ 18v?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by frankencat, Jan 7, 2008.

1. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

Can I use the 18v output of a DC-Brick to power a Line 6 MM4? Anybody ever tried it?

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

FC, that's how I used my MM-4 with a DCB on my PT-Jr.

3. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I haven't done it but would assume you could because when I check my PP2+ on the Line 6 output is reads 16vdc.

4. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

IIRC, the MM4 uses a 1.3A 9VAC (not VDC) power supply.

5. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

The MM-4 really does run DC since it will accept batteries, but it can take the 9vac because it has a bride rectifier that converts it to DC internally. I would think you could since it does take about 16V through the PP2 outlets. I would be more concerned if the brick has enough milliamps to power it though since I'm guessing it takes somewhere in the 200-300 range. Good luck, and if it doesn't work out I'm guessing it has some sort of power protection diode inside.

6. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

BTW Brian - the DC-Brick will power up to 1A, so it wouldn't have a problem with the MM4 unless adding the MM4 causes the Brick's load to go above 1A.

7. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

yeah if it's 1a that's a lot of juice and you should be fine unless you are running a ton of high draw pedals. I have a MM-4 laying around but I don't have any 18v adapters with 2.5mm plugs or I'd give it a try.