Can You Put EL34 Tubes in a PRS 2-Channel H Model (6L6 amp)?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by DualRectifier, May 15, 2015.

1. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

I did a search on this and only found some general points about putting EL34s in a 6L6 amp. I am hoping someone can tell me specifically to this amp.

I had a PRS SE-50 that I liked a lot and wished I never sold (I moved to an apartment but now I have a house). It had EL34s. I am having a hard time finding another one, much less at a decent price. I am finding a few PRS 2-Channel H models, which seem to be the same kind of amp but with 6L6s. The 2 Channel C model has EL34s. There are bias jacks but no switch between 6L6 and EL34 like an old Mesa Rectoverb I had.

Does anyone know if I buy a 2 Channel H model, can I put EL34s in it? Obviously I should try to find a C model but between the Emporium, Reverb, Craigslist, Offerup, and Ebay I have found many H models but no C models.

I downloaded the manual and it doesn't say anything about switching out tubes.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Have you contacted PRS? There are at least a few variables involved that could result in a range of possibilities including not working to destroying the tubes or amp.

At VERY least, you'll need to rebias...but only after you've figured out if this is even possible.

3. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

I called PRS but got a message saying they are closed. Also emailed them. Was hoping for an answer before a listing ended but I will deal with it. It does seem that it won't take EL34s without some work on biasing. Surprised that I have seen several dozen H model combos and not one single C model combo with the EL34s.

Thanks for the input Blue Strat!

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    All amps would have to be rebiased for a switch between 6L6s and EL34s, or vice versa. In fact, all amps have to be rebiased even if you change to a different pair of the same type of power tubes. It's just the way it is.