• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Can you put regular humbuckers on the Starcaster?

Badside

I put an order on a Starcaster RI 3 months ago and the call finally came in, my new baby is waiting for me at my local dealer.

I have the option of not buying if I end up not liking it, so I have to try it and then take a decision. Now, I understand the pickups LOOK like WRHB but they are actually regular humbuckers made to look like the vintage ones.

If I end up liking the guitar but not the sound, what are my options? WRHB are bigger than Gibson type HBs so I'm assuming they are not a direct fit (unless someone makes some custom mount rings for them). Would my only option be some of the more expensive boutique WRHBs?

Is it MIK or MIC? (Just wondering)

Badside

Can't help you with the pick up question.

The last question though, it is MIC.
Any clue if it's the same plant as the Classic Vibes?
Cause that could potentially mean Tonerider pickups, and my attempt at a Starcaster clone had a set of Toneriders... it sounded glorious, was just extremely heavy and uncomfortable (built it "Thinline" style and my piece of mahogany was just stupidly dense)

Thanks

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
I think regular buckers would fit with the right sized pickup ring, but the stock pickups actually sound pretty decent to me. I haven't gigged mine (no case for it) so I'm not sure how it would sit in a band mix, but I bought it mainly to mess around with and play acoustically (which it's great for). I really like mine.

Amplifiedsoul

Any clue if it's the same plant as the Classic Vibes?
Cause that could potentially mean Tonerider pickups, and my attempt at a Starcaster clone had a set of Toneriders... it sounded glorious, was just extremely heavy and uncomfortable (built it "Thinline" style and my piece of mahogany was just stupidly dense)

Thanks
No clue on that. From what I have heard about the quality it would seem so but no actual confirmation.

Badside

I'm almost nervous to go see it and play it... like a first date after chatting online for months.

Top Bottom