• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Can You Reccomend Me an Amp That Will Sound Like This?

MGuts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4AYkS7sA6E

I really like that crunchy tone the Rev gets here. Will a Reinhardt 18 do it? I've been looking at the Retro King 18, too but I wonder if it will have that much overdrive. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: Anyone know what he has wrapped around the headstock in this video?

Glide

I think a K-19 with the volume around 1 o'clock, the saturation at noon, and the tone around 2 o'clock.

A really good thing about that amp is that you can adjust the amp volume, saturation and then your guitar volume to make it as fat or thin as you want.

For example, if you set the saturation real high with the guitar and amp volume high you will get that sizzlie distortion that sounds amazing. But if you start lowering the saturation down while moving the guitar volume down it starts fattening up and sounds really cool also. Add in the guitar tone controls and you can tweak just about anything you are looking for.

MGuts

I checked that amp out on the Komet site, and it looked pretty cool. The sound clips sounded great, too. The cleans were really surprising to me since the overdrive sounded so mean, also. I'm definitely going to keep that amp on my list. Thanks!

Any other suggestions?

myles111

It is really more the player's ability than the amp. Look at what folks like Roy Buchanan did years ago with amps as simple as a Fender BF Deluxe.

MGuts

I'm talking about that sizzly crunch he has going in that clip. It seems saturated to me, but still clear. The modern amps I've had in the past seem to sacrifice clarity for the saturation. I would like something with both, which is what I hear in that clip.

kevin hart

Silver Supporting Member
Light strings and low action are also part of the equation of getting that tone, IMO.

I hear pedal drive. That fizzy sort of clarity comes from a gain pedal imo. Not the distortion by itself. But it sounds like a 4-hole marshall style amp on verge of breakup with a drive pedal in front.

cfdude

He uses a Marshall JMP-1 preamp according to several people. Most of the stage setup is for show.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
It is really more the player's ability than the amp. Look at what folks like Roy Buchanan did years ago with amps as simple as a Fender BF Deluxe.
+1 Most of my inexpensive amps can pull off a close approximation of that tone-unfortunately not with me at the wheel. Bob

soldano16

The tone isn't that far from my '72 Super Lead. It's got sizzle and warmth = Marshall?

Am I nuts or isn't that basically early JMP tone in action.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have a Frantone "The Sweet" fuzz, sounded much like that when I set it up very low. I sold it because it was super noisy, but will eventually experiment with that tone again.

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
I was going to say a plexi type amp would be great. Maybe a treble boost to thicken it up a bit? As I understand it, the Reinhardt 18 or Retro King 18 would do this quite well...maybe just add a pedal like an OCD and should be there.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I really like that crunchy tone the Rev gets here. Will a Reinhardt 18 do it?
"i really like the way lance armstrong wins all his races. can you recommend me a bike that will let me do it too?":)

wyatt

"i really like the way lance armstrong wins all his races. can you recommend me a bike that will let me do it too?":)
Well the trick is to only train for one race and only one race, blowing off the entire rest of the racing calendar. It's like only training and racing only in the Indy 500 year after year without ever racing on another track. (And don't forget to dope).

As to the OP, that was around the era when Billy Gibbons was using Expandora's overdrives. The 6 pedal tree was mostly for show (I believe he only used one at a time), but it's a thought.

Last edited:

Trending Topics