Can you recommend a PedalBoard & What's with the EH Deluxe Memory Man?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IluvRock&Roll, Sep 21, 2006.

1. IluvRock&Roll

IluvRock&Roll Member

Hi, I am looking to purchase a nice pedal board upon which to afix my stomp boxes. I dont' need a very large one, about 6 -8 pedals would be max. Doesn't have to be a hard case and I don't like the aluminum look. Would be nice to be able to power my pedals through a supplied power supply and 'junction box' kinda setup. I was looking at a few brands:
    Gator, SKB, Johnson, etc... What do you recommend?

Next: What's with the Deluxe Memory Man? I don't understand the pedal at all. I just got one locally due to all the reviews here and there and came home and was frustrated immediately with my purchase. I think my problem is I don't understand the knobs and what they do. If you own one, or are know about them; maybe you could explain what the knobs are and what they do.

The Delay Knob - I get that one! It sets the delay time.
    The Feedback Knob - Got it also! Sets the amount of repeats.
    Blend - Says it blends wet and dry signals. I don't get that!
    Level - Pedal gets louder when I turn it up. Is that it?
    Chorus\Vibrato - Not sure, but I think this one is like a level for the chorus \ vib. into the signal???

Anyway, Thanks for the help.
    :angel

2. inscho

inscho Senior Member

dry is the unaffected guitar signal, wet is the delay itself....the blend knob mixes the two....all the way down and you will only get dry signal, all the way up you only get the delay....put in the middle and you get an equal amount of dry and delay....

the chorus vibrato is how intense the modulation will be...set very low its very subtle...set very high it sounds wacked out..

3. IluvRock&Roll

IluvRock&Roll Member

Thanks! I had a little time to experiment after posting and It's starting to sound very, very good. Kinda figuring it out!

R&Roll!

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I can't believe anyone would pay what a DMM costs for a pedal in a store with the opportunity to play it and not test it out.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think it's a great sounding pedal (definitely helps to experiment!)... though mine adds modulation to the mix even when it's all the way down... like notes will all of a sudden pitch shift themselves, like a retarded whammy... maybe it needs a new potentiometer or cleaning in the modulation department?

6. drolling

drolling Member

I've bought plenty pedals online that cost way, way more than a DMM. If you do your homework first, shouldn't be any surprises later.

And while I agree that it's a good idea to check anything you buy in the shop - just to make sure it works, I completely understand why IluvR&R wouldn't try it out first. Here's why;

1) Wall-to-wall punks incessantly & mindlessly riffing at nosebleed volumes while saleskids grab the bewildered parents & pour it on thick.

2) Nothing, and I mean nothing, ever, and I mean ever, sounds the same once you get it out of the store and into a real-world situation.

3) See 1 & 2. Combine and multiply to the Nth power.

I'll gladly pay the occasional 'restocking' fee to avoid the above scenarios..

7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I buy alot of stuff online too but my point was that if you have the chance why not try it. I hope I didnt sound like a jerk in my reply that was not my intention at all.

8. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I strongly recommend you look into Trailer Trash pedal boards. James is a real pro (as well as a pro g-player) he has a great company and goes completely out of his way to make sure you get what you want. Great service and great insight.

Link

http://www.trailertrashpedalboards.com/index.htm

He is currently building me a 30x18 glow top.

L

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Oh, I recommend the newest Furman pedalboard. It's got power conditioning, 4 wall warts, 8 or 9 pedals, has a hardshell top. I have the older incarnation with a big gig bag and it's nice.

The big gator pedalboard with the gig bag and power supply looks cool, too.

If you ever play shady places (with questionable wiring), the Furman is a great solution, it's got the power conditioning to save your amp right there...

10. drolling

drolling Member

Oh heck, No..notatall..

Don't mind me, no one else does:crazyguy

BTW, welcome to the gear page, therhodeo!!