Can You Recommend Delay: >1 Sec/Analog Path/Cheap

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Canadian Steve, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Canadian Steve

Canadian Steve Member

Are there any Delays that have at least a 1 second rate, all analog signal path, and not too expensive? I've tried the Flashback, but it's not suitable. Thanks!

2. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

3. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Not sure if it's entirely analog, but TGP etiquette requires that someone recommend the MXR carbon copy here, do pity might as well be me. Good pedal, about 1.2 seconds max delay.

4. Canadian Steve

Canadian Steve Member

Sorry, forgot to add, I'm after a pedal with true bypass as well.

5. Canadian Steve

Canadian Steve Member

Great pedal, but it only has 600ms of delay time.

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Νο, there are not. Delays with all analog signal path with more than 1 second of delay time are very few and very expensive (the ones that I can remember now are the Moog, the DMM with tap tempo and tape echoes). Now if you are looking for delays that have analog dry signal path, there are more choices and not too expensive.

7. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

What about the SD Deja Vu? :huh

8. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

The Deja Vu is a hybrid delay (feeding the digital signal through BBDs, if I am not mistaken), and probably the only one that truly deserves to be called that, as all digital designs need analog parts to work (it's like saying your PC exists in a virtual digital space without capacitors, resistors etc etc - it doesn't).

9. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

Cool, TIL :aok

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've played most of them. the Deja Vu is legitimate, the signal goes thru a digital delay then a very short analog delay. You can blend how much of the analog sound you want combined with the digital. It's a clever and effective way to get an inexpensive delay ($79.95 on sale at GC) with 1.5 seconds of analog sound. It does have an option for true bypass, and doesn't digitize the dry sound AFAIK. Is it better than a DMMTT or Memory Lane? Nope, but it's WAY cheaper and you can set it so the tap tempo divisions are rotatable by your toe to change on the fly!

11. sahhas

sahhas Member

i'm not an analog delay expert-but most analog delays that i know of are
    in the 660ms range or less.

the digital delays were able to give you extended time (1, 2 sec and beyond).

i believe the tape delays like the original roland space echo was like 3 sec of tape in there,

so these things are based on "limitations". i think the limitation of the analog is some "chip". just like the limitation of the roland space echo is "tape".
    digital is the thing that sort of broke the limitations...ie: electro harmonix 16 ddl-had 16 sec of delay, the original lexicon pcm42 had like 4 sec (which was modifiable to longer), the digitech pds8000 had 8 sec....etc etc...

happy hunting...

12. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Quoting myself to say that this might be a weird argument with an example that is not very good or clear, but in order to explain it better I would have to spend time and effort (quite difficult with my current workload...).

13. jkokura

jkokura Member

Hardwire DL8. Not all analog, but it does keep your dry path analog. It's a good sounding delay and is true bypass using relay based switching.

Jacob

14. dlab

dlab Member

I don't know, man, those are tough specs. The Hardwire DL8 and Boss DD7 recommended above are close except that they're digital.

The EHX Memory Toy, Malekko 616, MXR Carbon Copy are also close, but less than 1 second of delay time.

You might have to ease up on your requirements. There's a good number of PT2399-based delays out there that could do a better job in terms of "cheap" and longer delay time.

15. Youngpedals

Youngpedals Member

Since people are mentioning digital delays, i will recommend the Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazari. Again, analog dry path plus up to 3-seconds of delay, has a 30-second looper, the reverse mode is awesome.

Analog delays at 1-second are technically challenging, which is why there aren't many of them. Its an interesting and fun project though, i've built them before.

16. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

17. dlab

dlab Member

18. Youngpedals

Youngpedals Member

But its not bad for 1second of analog delay. Notice the pile of parts involved :omg

19. dlab

dlab Member

Oh no, not bad at all - just some assembly required. I'd LOVE to put one of those kits together.

The link 78deluxe posted was for a pre-built @ $220.

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, only $70 to assemble and silk screen it? I kinda think that's cheap and I DO build my own pedals. There is some work involved in "tuning" BBDs to make them function properly. I hadn't seen that kit before!