Can you run 6L6s in place of 6V6s or will it stress out the transformer?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I have an Orange Rockerverb 50 and it could use a little more headroom on the clean channel. I don't know if the current draw would be too much?

Austinrocks

yes, I go the other way replace 6L6s with a JJs 6v6, but an amp designed for lower power 6v6s will have a lot of problems, output transformer and power supply will be stressed. The speaker would need to be changed or use a different tap, for an 8 ohm speaker you would want the 16 ohm tap, or replace the speaker with one that is half the current impedance, 8ohm replaced with a 4 ohm speaker.

Billm

The JJ 6V6-S has much larger plate area than standard 6V6GTs, more like a 6L6GB or 5881. They draw a little bit more current than a 6V6GT but typically provide better bass and more clean headroom without drawing as much current as a 6L6GC.

mrface2112

for years i've heard about people running a 6L6 in champs (for this very reason) with no ill effects.

i've not tried it yet, but recently picked up a pair of 1948 RCA coke-bottle 6L6G's to give it a go with in an old vibrochamp. the draw on the 6L6G is a bit lower than the later 6L6GT's.

cheers,
wade

Austinrocks

I'll probably just go the 12At7 or AU7 route in the preamp and see what that does. :knitting

that will just lower your gain, its like turning the volume down by half. it does keep you from driving the power tubes as hard, if its the Phase Inverter driver you want a balanced tube, so your driving both power tubes the same.

Dr. Tweedbucket

that will just lower your gain, its like turning the volume down by half. it does keep you from driving the power tubes as hard, if its the Phase Inverter driver you want a balanced tube, so your driving both power tubes the same.

Well, the result will be more headroom and less overall volume. The drive channel has so much gain as is, it can take a hit and still be fine. :knitting

GenoBluzGtr

Gold Supporting Member
yes, I go the other way replace 6L6s with a JJs 6v6, but an amp designed for lower power 6v6s will have a lot of problems, output transformer and power supply will be stressed. The speaker would need to be changed or use a different tap, for an 8 ohm speaker you would want the 16 ohm tap, or replace the speaker with one that is half the current impedance, 8ohm replaced with a 4 ohm speaker.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried running 6V6s in a tweed bassman. It's already 2 ohms, so I doubt you could change the output impedance... would this be hard on the amp?

MaxBoogie

I run 6L6's in both my Princeton and Deluxe Reverb and they are now both respectively the best sounding amps I've ever heard. However, The Princeton had its trannys changed to slightly beefier Mercury trannies to be able to handle the increased power draw. The Deluxe only needed a little tweaking and rebiasing... It's now really a KILLER sounding amp!

WesKuhnley

If you can rebias the amp that would fix the missmatched speaker impedance.
Bias (quiescent power) in output tubes has practically nothing to do with output impedance. Altering bias will not change how the output stage reacts to the load.

Tweedbucket-
I would recommend 12AT7's in the first stage, and possibly the PI as well. IMHO, AT7's sound more focused, with slightly less gain than an AX7.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Bias (quiescent power) in output tubes has practically nothing to do with output impedance. Altering bias will not change how the output stage reacts to the load.

Tweedbucket-
I would recommend 12AT7's in the first stage, and possibly the PI as well. IMHO, AT7's sound more focused, with slightly less gain than an AX7.

That's the ticket .... still plenty of volume, but cleaner. The 12AU7 was a bit too much. Thanks.

deluxe83

Try a good NOS 5751. It really smoothed out one of my heads, and brought the gain down a little. Not as drastic as a 12at7...

bunuel

I've run 6l6s in my ol' silvertone 6v6 for decades w/out a whiff of problem...but maybe it'll go down tomorrow...